PDA

View Full Version : Notebook Spec, any good?

GreenDance
July 16th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Hi, I am looking to buy this netbook, can anyone tell me how good the spec is please, thank you.

Dell Inspiron Mini 1011
Atom N270 1.6Ghz
Ubuntu Linux 8.10
8GB SSD
1GB Memory

Xianath
July 16th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Call me biased, but I am yet to see any good computer made by Dell that's not rack-mountable. I've had nothing but trouble with their laptops, desktops, and workstations. With that, 8GB SSD seems a little too tight. Anything with 32?

nmaster
July 16th, 2010, 11:56 PM
it really depends on what you want to do with and how you plan to use it. if you're going to store most of your files on a server or a desktop anyway, then 8GB might be fine.

i'd also say that the price matters, the hardware always becomes more attractive to me if i can find a good sale :)

kaldor
July 17th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Hi, I am looking to buy this netbook, can anyone tell me how good the spec is please, thank you.

Dell Inspiron Mini 1011
Atom N270 1.6Ghz
Ubuntu Linux 8.10
8GB SSD
1GB Memory

Not toooo bad.

You can get much better, but SSD is good if you will be on the move all the time. If you just intend on taking it to work/school/other houses, SSD isn't really important.

Ubuntu 8.10 is a bit of a b**** though. I'd downgrade to Hardy for that.

Sorry for being really bland with my answers, but I've been ****-sick all day. :(

BrokenKingpin
July 17th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I would get something with the Atom N450. You should also look into what battery it has, a 6 cell battery is worth the extra money.

ubunterooster
July 17th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Buy it and replace the SSD if it can be replaced. if not then I say no deal

andrewabc
July 17th, 2010, 02:19 AM
No good (although depends on price).

If looking at netbooks, it has to have Intel Atom N450.
Also, it is good if you can easily change ram and hard drive.

You need to read these articles:
Intel Atom D510: Pine Trail Boosts Performance, Cuts Power (http://www.anandtech.com/show/2889) - Why you need N450

Gateway and Acer Netbooks: Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! (http://www.anandtech.com/show/3679/gateway-and-acer-netbooks) - netbooks that allow easy HDD replacement (good to put SSD in it in future). There could be others, but I would make sure easy to replace HDD.

6 cell battery will get you much longer battery life. Usually cost $30-50 more than 3 cell. Only 3 cell benefit is that it weighs a bit less.

GreenDance
July 17th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll choose a "Laptop", DVD-RW & bigger HDD + bigger screen :)