PDA

View Full Version : Redhat Enterprise

lewisforlife
July 16th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Is Redhat Enterprise (RHEL) free? I know that they charge for it, but under the GPL, can't it be copied and distributed and/or changed? Just curious because I can't find much info online about this subject.

renkinjutsu
July 16th, 2010, 10:53 PM
While RHEL requires a paid subscription, the source for their distribution is made freely available. The guys at CentOS do a good job getting the Redhat source and building it up.

lewisforlife
July 17th, 2010, 05:00 AM
While RHEL requires a paid subscription, the source for their distribution is made freely available. The guys at CentOS do a good job getting the Redhat source and building it up.

That sort of answers my question. But with Linux, you always hear, you can make a copy of the CD, even if you bought it and distribute it for free. So, if I bought a subscription to RHEL, can I make copies of the CD they send me and give them to my friends for free so that they can install it like you can every other version of Linux?

Shakz
July 17th, 2010, 05:22 AM

+1 CentOS is the small business owners RHEL. I know a handful of folks that use it. They are all very happy with it as an enterprise level OS.

Bachstelze
July 17th, 2010, 05:30 AM
But with Linux, you always hear, you can make a copy of the CD, even if you bought it and distribute it for free.

Only if the license of whatever software is on the CD permits it. Nothing to do with Linux.

So, if I bought a subscription to RHEL, can I make copies of the CD they send me and give them to my friends for free so that they can install it like you can every other version of Linux?

As I said, that would depend on the licenses that cover the material on the CD. You may do that only if everything on the CD is under a free license.

linux18
July 17th, 2010, 05:45 AM
cent os is exactly the same as RHLE except for branding and similar things, if you are unsure about the license just copy cent os and distribute that to your friends.