PDA

View Full Version : Can Mythbunut and Ubuntu 10.04 Dual boot

Peterfc
July 16th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Hi

I am happy with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS but i would like to try Mythbuntu and my question is can i dual boot with Mythbuntu and Ubuntu. I have two 1TB hard drives or would it be better to have each system on it's own Hard drive.

nickrout
July 16th, 2010, 10:18 PM
why? why not just add the mythbuntu packages to your ubuntu and run it when you like.

eriktheblu
July 16th, 2010, 10:33 PM
why? why not just add the mythbuntu packages to your ubuntu and run it when you like.System limitations might be a reason. Mythbuntu has had a lot of stuff removed to reserve processing power for MythTV.

Shouldn't be a problem to dual boot. Just make sure to update-grub after the install.

JustinR
July 16th, 2010, 10:33 PM
You could run MythBuntu in a VirtualMachine although you probably won't get the greatest video playback. As nickrout said you can add the package, I believe its called Mythbuntu-Desktop.

Installing Mythbuntu on a separate HDD is unnecessarily complicated. You have one terrabyte of space on the first HDD right? Why not just create a new partition on the first drive and install MythBuntu from there? If you don't like it, just delete the partition! The second drive then doesn't have to be used.

Peterfc
July 16th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Hi Guys

Thanks for the speedy replies. As Nickrout just add the packages so that's what i will do.

Thanks