PDA

View Full Version : Only 2 CPU Companies?

GreenDance
July 16th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I only know of AMD and Intel, is that all the CPU Companies?, I would of thought there would of been more than that?, perhaps there is and I don't know about it?

Thanks!

spoons
July 16th, 2010, 09:49 PM
VIA make the Nano CPU for netbooks, it's hotter but much faster than Intel's Atom.

kevin11951
July 16th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Well, theres Via, and Arm, and a few others... PowerPC also comes to mind

tgm4883
July 16th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Arm, apple (makes their own process for iphones/ipads), ibm (although I don't know if they still make their processors), sun (now oracle. Not sure if they still make Sparc processors)

tgm4883
July 16th, 2010, 09:53 PM
also, a quick note. It takes a pretty large sum of money to get into the making processors business. That is probably why there isn't more

CrimsonBizarre
July 16th, 2010, 09:56 PM
apple (makes their own process for iphones/ipads),

Designed by Apple, but made by Samsung.

GreenDance
July 16th, 2010, 10:01 PM
also, a quick note. It takes a pretty large sum of money to get into the making processors business. That is probably why there isn't more

Really?, I guess that idea I had of setting up a CPU company goes out the window.

If buying bulk of OEM CPU's would they be cheaper than Retail?

tgm4883
July 16th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Well there is another company then, Samsung ;)

Lucradia
July 16th, 2010, 10:21 PM
nvidia is on the market to get into making CPUs I believe, if they haven't already, as they make non-video chipsets.

Motorola made the CPUs for early apple computers.

Dawei87
July 16th, 2010, 10:38 PM
doesn't Qualcomm also make cpu's?

speedwell68
July 16th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Zilog Inc. Unless I am much mistaken the Z80 is still the most popular micro-processor in the world.

Redache
July 16th, 2010, 11:01 PM
There are a lot more than you think. Everything that has a processor in it that isn't a Desktop/Server/Laptop/Netbook will more than likely not be Intel/AMD. Qualcomm are a pretty good example of a big manufacturer of ARM processors.

renkinjutsu
July 16th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Let's not forget Texas Instruments!

GregBrannon
July 16th, 2010, 11:39 PM
If buying bulk of OEM CPU's would they be cheaper than Retail?

There is always the possibility of quantity price breaks for most any product. The wholesalers for electronics products are usually part houses, not the manufacturers themselves. You'll have to check with them for quantity price breaks.

murderslastcrow
July 16th, 2010, 11:42 PM
ARM's pretty big if you consider all the cellphones out there that use it. Also, it's breaking into the netbook market quite nicely.

oldsoundguy
July 16th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Noticed the mention that NVida is positioned to get into the processor business .. quite possible as they are very strongly positioned as far as capital. They OWE no one .. no DEBT. They aren't paying interest on borrowed money.
Now, as to IF they want to take that full bore plunge .. that is another story that only their management knows!
And their GPU equipped cards ARE more than just graphic processors now! .. certain programs recognize them as a processor core and utilize them as such NOW! (SETI from BOINC is one such program.)

lisati
July 16th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Zilog Inc. Unless I am much mistaken the Z80 is still the most popular micro-processor in the world.

Beat me to it! I know of them because of the Z80, and they are still around.

McRat
July 16th, 2010, 11:57 PM
There are probably 40 or more companies that make CPU's.

Freescale
Rabbit
Texas Instruments
Zilog (yup Z80's still sell)
Toshiba

Remember that everything from airplanes to zoometry devices have computers in them now. Routers, DVD players, cars, motorcycles, TV's, all have powerful computers in them. Few of these use Intel or AMD chips.

Cam!
July 17th, 2010, 12:14 AM
In a few years, I wouldn't be surprised if ASUS tried their hand in CPU manufacturing.

Redo
July 17th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Motorola also makes processors

linux18
July 17th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Anything with a microprocessor ( pretty much anything electronic ) has a cpu made by some company and I'm surprised no-one has said SONY you know with their factories manufacturing dozens of different cpus ( the 180 GFLOP CELL comes to mind.... that cpu that powers the ps3 and many clusters around the world )
CELL BE FTW!
sorry fanboy talking

mr clark25
July 17th, 2010, 12:31 AM
i have heard that some company is goning to make a cpu-gpu combo.... (i want to see this)

you also cant forget cyrix... (think i spelled it right... lol)

McRat
July 17th, 2010, 12:37 AM
VIA apparently is really big. (http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/processors/nano/)

MooPi
July 17th, 2010, 01:00 AM
ARM doesn't manufacture chips but designs them if I'm not mistaken. They let everyone buy a license to manufacture their designs and that is how they make their money.

BuffaloX
July 17th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Loongson make MIPS chips

kevin11951
July 17th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Anything with a microprocessor ( pretty much anything electronic ) has a cpu made by some company and I'm surprised no-one has said SONY you know with their factories manufacturing dozens of different cpus ( the 180 GFLOP CELL comes to mind.... that cpu that powers the ps3 and many clusters around the world )
CELL BE FTW!
sorry fanboy talking

Actually something in the back of my head is telling me that...

The PS3 broadband cell was manufactured (and i believe designed) by Motorola and IBM...

Lucradia
July 17th, 2010, 02:52 AM
ARM doesn't manufacture chips but designs them if I'm not mistaken. They let everyone buy a license to manufacture their designs and that is how they make their money.

ARM's pretty big if you consider all the cellphones out there that use it. Also, it's breaking into the netbook market quite nicely.

Neither.

ARM is an arch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture) more so than a company (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Holdings).

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn
July 31st, 2010, 05:07 AM

not designed by apple really. they ARE ARM processors.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/09/ipad_samsung/

neoargon
July 31st, 2010, 06:44 AM
Why only two processor companies in th PC market ? and only one architecture(x86)?

Khakilang
July 31st, 2010, 07:00 AM
2 CPU, Intel and AMD. 2 GPU, nVidia and ATI, 2 desktop, Gnome and KDE. But only 1 great Distro.

Macskeeball
July 31st, 2010, 08:38 AM
Motorola also makes processors

Are you sure they still do that? I was under the impression that they spun that whole division off as Freescale a few years ago in order to focus on cell phones, but I may be wrong. Someone please correct me if I am.

HappinessNow
July 31st, 2010, 08:45 AM
Embedded CPU architectures
ARM's ARM Architecture
Atmel's AVR architecture
Microchip's PIC architecture
Texas Instruments's MSP430 architecture
Intel's 8051 architecture
Zilog's Z80 architecture
Western Design Center's 65816 architecture
Hitachi's SuperH architecture
Axis Communications' ETRAX CRIS architecture
Power Architecture (formerly PowerPC)
EnSilica's eSi-RISC architecture

Microcomputer CPU architectures
pre-x86
x86
Intel's IA-32 architecture, also called x86-32
x86-64 with AMD's AMD64 and Intel's Intel 64 version of it
Motorola's 6800 and 68000 architectures
MOS Technology's 6502 architecture
Zilog's Z80 architecture
Power Architecture (formerly IBM POWER and PowerPC)
The Advanced RISC Machines' (originally Acorn) ARM and StrongARM/XScale architectures

Workstation/Server CPU architectures
DEC's Alpha architecture
HP's PA-RISC architecture
Power Architecture (formerly IBM POWER and PowerPC)
Intel's Itanium architecture (formerly IA-64)
MIPS Computer Systems Inc.'s MIPS architecture
Sun Microsystems's SPARC architecture

Mini/Mainframe CPU architectures
Burroughs large systems architecture (1961-present) currently supported in the Unisys ClearPath/MCP series.
IBM's System/360, System/370, ESA/390 and z/Architecture (1964-present)
DEC's PDP-11 architecture, and its successor, the VAX architecture
UNIVAC 1100/2200 series architecture (currently supported by Unisys ClearPath IX computers)
MIL-STD-1750A - the U.S.'s military standard computer
AP-101 - the space shuttle's computer

Mixed core CPU architectures
IBM's Cell architecture (a general purpose architecture that uses a POWER4 based core and 8 RISC based co-processors)
CAS's Loongson 3
Parallax Propeller, a 160 MIPS multicore microcontroller with eight 32-bit RISC cores.

Historically important CPUs
EDSAC - the first practical stored-program computer
Apollo Guidance Computer, used in the moon flights
MIL-STD-1750 An early CPU, standardized for military and aerospace embedded systems.
MIPS R4000 - the first microprocessor to use a 64-bit datapath
Central Air Data Computer - the first microprocessorhttp://goo.gl/YkS4

handy
July 31st, 2010, 09:10 AM
There is many hours of reading on CPUs available via the links on this site:

http://www.cpushack.com/links.html

There are links more general than just x86 towards the end of that page.

[Edit:] Someone may find The Chronology of Personal Computers interesting:

http://www.islandnet.com/~kpolsson/comphist/

[Edit2:] Great Microprocessors of the Past & Present:

http://jbayko.sasktelwebsite.net/cpu.html

mcduck
July 31st, 2010, 10:08 AM
Actually something in the back of my head is telling me that...

The PS3 broadband cell was manufactured (and i believe designed) by Motorola and IBM...

Nope, it was developed together by Sony, IBM and Toshiba. The CPU's are manufactured by IBM (not so sure about the other two), and all three companies (and some others as well) use some variants of Cell in their products.

andras artois
July 31st, 2010, 02:17 PM
Don't IBM make a bunch for super computers?

Bachstelze
July 31st, 2010, 02:22 PM
Don't IBM make a bunch for super computers?

Most supercomputers that use IBM CPUs use PowerPC, the same architecture that was used on pre-Intel Macs for example. It's not a separate architeture.

falcon1620
August 1st, 2010, 08:26 AM
I would like to add that a few Mainframe customers are converting over to Power Architecture machines, (yep you can still order them, in blades even) and moving their DB2 and Websphere apps to AIX, a proprietary Unix from IBM. For the guy who asked about Power Architecture formally PowerPC. I myself wouldn't consider a 1.2 million dollar DB2 cluster a "Super Computer" rather then a very large DB2 cluster, but that's I guess nit picking... Mainframe and PowerPC is still good for a lot of enterprise applications out there. So its not just "Super Computing", you guys probably have something processed in your day on a mainframe "Think Banking?..." ;) There are a lot of architectures out there big/small and old. Still in use and still kicking. Whoot Power7! ):P