PDA

View Full Version : Any chance for a tablet distro?

onthefence
July 16th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Am I the only one using a tablet? I had ubuntu stock(v8?) installed on it for some time. I had followed a guide to get the touchscreen working and it did work. But I couldn't figure out how to get it to calibrate properly. It worked with the stylus but was inaccurate with the finger. Anyway, suffice it to say that Windows had a leg up on ubuntu in this department at the time and so I switched back. However, Windows is frigging annoying and I don't want to use it anymore. What am I to do? Please don't say iPad.

I would love to see something like the netbook distro, but with built in touch capability (including a gui for options/calibration in the settings) and LARGE BUTTONS for my large clumsy fingers. It wouldn't have to be much different from stock, the essential addons would be:
-drivers for touchscreen
-gui for calibration/settings
-skin with large buttons

If I was a programmer, I would volunteer, but I would probably crash people's machines :). I leave it to the pros.

Dragonbite
July 16th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Hopefully Tablet drivers for Linux will improve with development of Android.

kamaboko
July 16th, 2010, 07:24 PM
There's an interview with Shuttleworth on YouTube whereby he said they have no plans to create a tablet distro. He doesn't think the market is heading that way.

TuckLive
July 16th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I admit I've been away from the forums for a few months, but what about this story from Engadget on a Ubuntu tablet distro.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/11/canonical-making-full-fledged-ubuntu-tablet-push-in-early-2011/