PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect Change

coolbrook
July 16th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I could've had breakfast for a dollar this morning, but I gave the incorrect change back to the cashier. I used to work at a register and I would expect the same if I made the same mistake. Then there are the other instances when the cashier doesn't remember what was given to them before completing the transaction and they provide insufficient change.

What is your opinion regarding undue money?

Excedio
July 16th, 2010, 01:48 PM
<------ Plastic

However, if I do use cash...I would correct the error. Karma can be a nasty motha..

YuiDaoren
July 16th, 2010, 02:09 PM
<------ Plastic

However, if I do use cash...I would correct the error. Karma can be a nasty motha..
It's unfortunate that karma is merely myth. It would be wonderful if people really did naturally meet punishment for immorality or evil.

I use plastic now, so it's not been a concern for ages. However, back in my cash days I never let someone over-change. I felt they were already under enough pressure dealing with money under suspicious eyes plus having to deal with jerks all day. Having their drawer come up short at the end of the day would just be adding (potentially job-threatening) insult to injury.

Well, one time I was horribly tempted when a bank teller had a huge brain fart and counted out fifties as if they were twenties on a one-hundred dollar transaction. It's strange the rationalizations the mind can come up with for taking the money and running. Fortunately my kinder half won out and I exchanged for the proper denominations. My reward was exceptional service from everyone at that branch 'till the day I went plastic.

tjwoosta
July 16th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Then there are the other instances when the cashier doesn't remember what was given to them before completing the transaction and they provide insufficient change.

Then there are the situations where customers think they gave you a more then they really did and complain that you short changed them when you really didn't.

When I was in high school I worked in the meat deparment at hannaford and this happened to me once or twice. One of those times the guy swore he gave me a hundred when he really gave me a twenty. Of course you cant proove theyre full of crap and have to give them money for no reason because "the customer is always right". Then your superiors count the drawers and find money missing and take it from your paycheck.

samalex
July 16th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Actually I rarely carry cash anymore other than a few bucks for the vending machines at work, so it's been a while since I've paid cash for anything. But working retail while in college I know how it can be for a cashier when their drawer is short, so I generally have given the money back if they give me too much change. The exception is if the cashier is a total turd... If they could care less about me as their customer, I could care less about them.

Sam

LowSky
July 16th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Then there are the situations where customers think they gave you a more then they really did and complain that you short changed them when you really didn't.

When I was in high school I worked in the meat deparment at hannaford and this happened to me once or twice. One of those times the guy swore he gave me a hundred when he really gave me a twenty. Of course you cant proove theyre full of crap and have to give them money for no reason because "the customer is always right". Then your superiors count the drawers and find money missing and take it from your paycheck.

When I worked in retail, anytime some one tried to pull that stunt of claiming I or one of my employees shortchanged them, I would pull the drawer, get someone to verify the count, count the drawer in front of the person claiming the problem, and give change back if warranted. The customer is never right!

Side note I rarely give the wrong change back, I barely ever count my change.

NMFTM
July 16th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Of course you cant proove theyre full of crap and have to give them money for no reason because "the customer is always right".
The customer is always right? When did this happen?

Cuddles McKitten
July 16th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Pfft. Cash is sooooooooooo second millennium AD.

Barrucadu
July 16th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I typically don't notice, as I simply take my change and go. If it's a significant amount (like, several pound coins or a note) I'll notice when taking my change, but anything less than that and I doubt I would.

For all I know I could have lost hundreds of pounds over my life to being short changed. Or gained hundreds from being given more.

Miguel
July 16th, 2010, 07:16 PM
When I worked in retail, anytime some one tried to pull that stunt of claiming I or one of my employees shortchanged them, I would pull the drawer, get someone to verify the count, count the drawer in front of the person claiming the problem, and give change back if warranted. The customer is never right!

Side note I rarely give the wrong change back, I barely ever count my change.

It happened to my mother once a long ago, like 12 years. I was walking with her on a Sunday morning, and went on to shop some groceries. Because she didn't have any notes, she went to a cash machine and drew *exactly* 25.000 pesetas (150€), in 5 notes of 5.000 pesetas each (purple). When we went to shop to the shop she had frequented the last few years, she obviously had to pay with one of the 5k notes she had. No way around it.

Trust me, because I saw all the events with my eyes, the cashier insisted she had received a 2000 pesetas note (red), and gave change according to that. Funnily enough, my mother only had 4 5000 pesetas notes.

Well, another person was called and phone numbers were swapped, and we were supposed to be called at the end of the day about the money. We never received any call from them and, accordingly, my mother never went back to that shop again. They lost way more money that a misery 18€.

EDIT: Bearing in mind we used to shop daily there (bread, vegetables, that kind of stuff) they probably lost more profit than that in the first week.

Phrea
July 16th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I'm running.

coolbrook
July 17th, 2010, 05:25 PM
The exception is if the cashier is a total turd... If they could care less about me as their customer, I could care less about them.
Agree 100%. I forgot to include 'depends' as a poll option.

Penguin Guy
July 17th, 2010, 06:54 PM
It's unfortunate that karma is merely myth.
That statement might offend some people: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma

forrestcupp
July 17th, 2010, 07:33 PM
<------ Plastic

However, if I do use cash...I would correct the error.Me too.

For all I know I could have lost hundreds of pounds over my life to being short changed. Or gained hundreds from being given more.Yeah, I guess stress levels can affect weight change, just not usually that drastically. :D

That statement might offend some people: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KarmaYet no one speaks up about offense when people ridicule the idea of God. It seems like that happens here a lot without question.

tjwoosta
July 17th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I dont trust plastic any more then cash. Ive been ripped off by three different banks. I notice money missing, contact them about it, go through the tedious process of prooving it, eventually they give in and claim it was a accident, I get my money back and take it somewhere else.