PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Light Highly Configurable DTE for Accessibility

Ashocka
July 16th, 2010, 02:39 AM
I'm looking for a desktop env for my mother, running on a PIII (700) 1G Ram.

I have tried Xbuntu, LXDE and Flux, but what I really need is something for a person in their 80's where you can really control the desktop so you can

hide and show as much as possible (highly configurable)
increase the size of the mouse pointer
manage all fonts and sizes
possibly install AWN
customize as much as possible

Maybe a Ubuntu install with a switch to a lightweight desktop under specific user???

Suggestions appreciated.

Geoff

bobcollard
July 16th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I'm looking for a desktop env for my mother, running on a PIII (700) 1G Ram.

I have tried Xbuntu, LXDE and Flux, but what I really need is something for a person in their 80's where you can really control the desktop so you can

hide and show as much as possible (highly configurable)
increase the size of the mouse pointer
manage all fonts and sizes
possibly install AWN
customize as much as possible

Maybe a Ubuntu install with a switch to a lightweight desktop under specific user???

Suggestions appreciated.

Geoff
I would suggest Xubuntu for it's configurations. That includes cursor size, fonts and either AWN or Cairo-Dock. It is light, fast and made for older computer compatibility as well as newer computer as a lightweight My laptop is set up as a desktop with external monitor and wireless keyboard, mouse and wifi. I have used Xubuntu since 9.04.

Ashocka
July 17th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Hi Bob,

I appreciate your contribution. I did have Xubuntu on this machine some time back. My only complaint with it was that I lost all toolbars and couldn't work out how to get them back. Probably I didn't preserve enough. I'm reading that a lot of people are feeling that LXDE is a better option with the likes of Lubuntu, but it does not have the flexibility of configurability as you mentioned in Xubuntu. So it is good to hear positive experiences in this regard for Xubuntu.

Thanks
Geoff