PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to Install Ubuntu 10.04 without formatting drive D.

zer0svaughn
July 16th, 2010, 12:54 AM
hey guys, I need your help.. I want to install Ubuntu 10.04 on drive C, i'm a newbie when it comes to installation.. my files are on drive D.. so i don't want to format drive D during the installation of Ubuntu.. please assist me guys.. thanks..

stlsaint
July 16th, 2010, 01:52 AM
You dont have to format your D drive at all. You dont even have to touch it. Now i hope you are referring to two seperate drives and not partitions! So if you are using two different drives than yes you dont have to touch drive D. Just partition of some space on drive C and install ubuntu there.

mörgæs
July 16th, 2010, 01:57 AM
A couple of defrags in Windows is a good step before installing, and remember to leave enough empty space for Windows when partitioning.

zer0svaughn
July 16th, 2010, 02:26 PM
for example look at my attachment.. if i erase and use entire disk, will it only be drive C that will be erased? or drive D will be erased too?

gordintoronto
July 16th, 2010, 04:39 PM
The right end of the line which begins SCSI3, is a drop-down arrow. Click it, and if you have two hard drives, the second one will appear there.

By the way, Drive C and Drive D are MS-DOS terminology. In Linux, drives have names such as hda or sdb. When there's a number, (hda1) it refers to a partition.

viralmeme
July 16th, 2010, 05:29 PM
for example look at my attachment.. if i erase and use entire disk, will it only be drive C that will be erased? or drive D will be erased too?

It looks like you are using VMware virtual disks, which is a `feature' of Windows 7. You best bet is to resize this `disk' using the Windows utility and then install Linux in the newly created space. Before that, could you post a screenshot of your current partition setup?

resize Windows 7 partition (http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/resize-partition-windows-7.htm)

resize virtual partition (http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/resize-virtual-hard-disk.htm)