PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Win7 like taskbar applet

8Kuula
July 15th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I have googled for while now for searching taskbar applet that would behave like one in windows 7 counterpart set in "combine when taskbar is full".

Is there one?

Linye
July 16th, 2010, 01:22 AM
search for dockbarx

hansdown
July 16th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Hi 8Kuula.

cairo dock has a windows 7 bar.

I have it on the bottom, but it can be moved.

kerry_s
July 16th, 2010, 02:10 AM
avant-window-navigator can also do that.

i'm not running compiz, so no previews on mine.

8Kuula
July 16th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Yeah, found those too, thanks.
But all those (in screenshots atleast) do not have option to make it behave like W7 taskbar when it is set to "combine when taskbar is full".

AceRoom
July 16th, 2010, 09:56 AM
DockbarX does have the option to combine tasks. Check it out once again.

When you say Win7 taskbar, do you want all of the tasks to be icons or do you refer to the behavior?

8Kuula
July 16th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Im after on win7 taskbars behaviour when it is set to "combine when taskbar is full"
It is like between "old" way and would have that "w7 way".

So program launchers would be icons only, when it is runing it would show icon + window title, when more windows open on program it would group next to that launcher icon and all windows would be showing as icon + title, until no more space when it groups as one block and shows icon + program name and when hovering over it, it pops up menu with all window titles.

Imho it is best of both ways.

AceRoom
July 16th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I have Windows 7 too so I've seen those options.
Do you want only icons or icons and text?

DockbarX by default groups windows automatically. I don't think you can not group them. It has windows preview too. DockbarX only shows icons.

The default KDE and GNOME taskbars both group Window if space is limited. In GNOME, it is not set by default. You can right click on the taskbar and click preferences to change it. But this shows both text and icons. Choose whichever you prefer.

I've attached screenshots of both GNOME and KDE.

---------------------------
Okay, updated.
---------------------------------------------------

You may also look at Talika which is also icon type taskbar. However, Talika does not have as many themes.

8Kuula
July 16th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Do you want only icons or icons and text?
Icons and text.

Seems all what I have searched are icons only. DockbarX would be closest but no text.

Oh well, I think I stick with good old taskbar.

Thanks ! :)

AceRoom
July 17th, 2010, 05:44 AM
You knew about the group option earlier? Like I said before, it's not enabled by default.

8Kuula
July 17th, 2010, 08:31 AM
You mean that window list applet setting?
Yes I did know.