PDA

View Full Version : Idea for "I am PC, I am Mac, I am Linux" comics

alexan
July 15th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Well, I got this idea.. and now it's quite hard get it away: a comic loosely based on some tv-series comedy when pretty different people live in somewhat very close; a shared flat for example.

I've a vague idea about their characterization and not even quite sure if it's doable as comic; but I would share my impression with you.
The "global share" it's their source of money, plus other "impression" who the three entities behind.. so

Wynnie (I know, female name.. but it's a creepy young man, so I think its fine if I keep him a little "ambiguous") - look young as a kid, I know that Microsoft it's long stage from long time.. but their Windows is tipical to "completely change face" on every version (98/Me/XP/Vista...) usually for let to the past the disastrous image of the previous windows. Obviusly he's unsympathetic and unpleasant little creepy guy. He don't need to be sympathetic. The richest, fickle and strongly static in his believing: if something is like that.. it should remain this way.

Lisa - I try loosely inspire her face as ally mcbeal (http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/v/vonda-shepard/album-songs-from-ally-mcbeal-featuring-vonda-shepard-television-series.jpg): apple point much on its image, so.. what better of a nice looking professional gal? She's related by blood with Wynnie, thus don't come directly from the same family.

Tux - Guess who's? Poor idealistic guy, scientifically smart... sometime too much, sometime too much smart.. to only result dumb to other's eyes. I've tried to keep the design close to daniel faraday (http://cinematicallycorrect.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/daniel-faraday_l.jpg?w=225&h=300).

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=163551&d=1279223496

whiskeylover
July 15th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Make sure you portray Liz as the mistress of Lord Jehobs.

Kdar
July 15th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I would be interested to see how it will end up. It could be nice.

Maybe something like what Ubunchu comic had.

WHo is he?

chessnerd
July 15th, 2010, 09:29 PM
This reminds me of a comic idea I had a while ago. I was going to have it be about the various web browsers.

The IE character would look kinda like the PC guy from the commercials. He would also be pretty full of himself despite the fact that nobody likes him.

The Firefox character would be the "popular guy" and would give these grand speeches about freedom and openness. He would also have a lot of gadgets and gizmos with him (extentions) all the time.

The Chrome character would be a younger guy who is "new". He would be very thin (light-weight) and well-liked. Firefox wouldn't like him very much and would feel threatened by him.

The Safari character would be a female character. She would be professional and strong-minded, not caring what anyone thinks of her.

The Opera character would be the guy that nobody notices. He would always be trying to get attention by doing some amazing feat, but none of the other characters would pay him any mind.

Random_Dude
July 15th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I've just remembered of Scott from Ctrl+Alt+Del.

http://www.pthree.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/ctrlaltdel.png

What happened to him?

alexan
July 15th, 2010, 09:43 PM

Steve? indeed I had the idea to make appear guest stars those who backward the trio.
Steve, Steve and Mark (Linus.. maybe sometime)

alexan
July 15th, 2010, 09:55 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=163562&stc=1&d=1279227213

For example,Wyn cam from a very devout Michrolic's family. Here with the uncle Ballamer.

The other: steve jobs (http://jonathansanders.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Moses-Jobs72.jpg) and mark (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/48/141521711_e370854a5a.jpg) (still to find a way to draw him)

Bachstelze
July 15th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Awesome, yet another overly stereotyped and totally unfunny comic, yeah!

alexan
July 15th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Awesome, yet another overly stereotyped and totally unfunny comic, yeah!

Technically speaking, this is not even (yet) a comic.. so you're saved.

for now. :P

KiwiNZ
July 15th, 2010, 11:02 PM
This whole thing has been over played and over done

alexan
July 16th, 2010, 02:05 PM
“Sometimes something worth doing is worth overdoing.”

RiceMonster
July 16th, 2010, 02:06 PM

Not in this case.

ticopelp
July 16th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I have to say I don't really think much of your approach. "Windows character is really creepy and unsympathetic and rich, because rich people are evil... while Linux character is so amazingly smart that others can't understand him! He goes totally over their heads because he doesn't use Windows like the common sheeple..."

Your character designs have potential. If you can come up with something fresh and thoughtful and not just more cliched soapbox-type stuff, I think the comic would have a lot more appeal. But I have to agree with what's already been said, the world doesn't need another "blarr Windows R sux!" comic.

Basically, look at the Ctrl-Alt-Del comic posted above and do the polar opposite. That comic is pure, undistilled anti-funny.

onthefence
July 16th, 2010, 05:54 PM

Well, you're going to have to get used to criticism. It's easier to shoot down ideas than offer alternatives. I think you should keep going with it. You clearly stated that this was a rough draft, which leaves it open to be developed.

I personally think that Linux has always lost the PR battle because there are ENOUGH clever portrayals and comparisons put out there. Most people don't even know about it or have a poor conception of what it is.

That said, if Linux is going to get attention, it is going to have to step up its game a bit in certain categories. Like electric cars, it suffers from being an outcast, never receiving the same attention from consumer software developers, and no wonder it has a hard time competing.

alexan
July 16th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Not in this case.
Funny thing.. there's no actually case :P

"Windows character is really creepy and unsympathetic and rich, because rich people are evil... while Linux character is so amazingly smart that others can't understand him! He goes totally over their heads because he doesn't use Windows like the common sheeple..."
Your character designs have potential. If you can come up with something fresh and thoughtful and not just more cliched soapbox-type stuff, I think the comic would have a lot more appeal. But I have to agree with what's already been said, the world doesn't need another "blarr Windows R sux!" comic.

Basically, look at the Ctrl-Alt-Del comic posted above and do the polar opposite. That comic is pure, undistilled anti-funny.
I get what do you mean, but there are other option without losing the idea "linux is the best, other sucks".
Anyway, in my idea Tux is the eternal loser... so I have to counter balance this feature. Kind of: linux may not win, but others hardly would enjoy the victory.

Anyway, I was thinking to try make things a little more complex... in the end, no one of the pack of three will be really the bad guy (in the end)
Wyn, as I thought it.. it's more like a victim of his own place. He's smart and his stuff sold better than anyone else. He know that everything he does... will "sold out" the only problem is... he don't really feel like people care about his stuff. Also his life is strongly repressed by his own family: they don't want he'd lost "his gift" (and money that come from it)

The "mac girl" which seem "good on every side" has her own shadows too: she's obsessed with her career. She's very mad about her brother-in-law; sometime her effort to push her business got insane. Anger and stuff like that.

Also Tux is somewhat mind-screwed, he's deeply...sometime insanely idealistic. He don't care to be understood: he let his mind travel the universe to find the answer... it's people duty to understand the absolute, idealistic, truth he'd shoot.
This is also the reason he fail the main target of his life: loose too much the tongue with the "key" people that would be able to help him: upsetting people around him.

Well, you're going to have to get used to criticism. It's easier to shoot down ideas than offer alternatives. I think you should keep going with it. You clearly stated that this was a rough draft, which leaves it open to be developed.

I personally think that Linux has always lost the PR battle because there are ENOUGH clever portrayals and comparisons put out there. Most people don't even know about it or have a poor conception of what it is.

That said, if Linux is going to get attention, it is going to have to step up its game a bit in certain categories. Like electric cars, it suffers from being an outcast, never receiving the same attention from consumer software developers, and no wonder it has a hard time competing.
Reading you gave me some idea in the previous answer.

Next, I'll open this idea in the forum service where my comics are hosted: time to get opinion on the comic side too

alexan
July 16th, 2010, 11:23 PM
first test comic strip done!!!
Who remember steve job's refusal of adobe flash on ipad?

Here's the stuff
http://yfrog.com/6wapplevsadobeflashj

mkarnicki
September 18th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Whatever the comic would contain, I definitely like your picture! The 'Tux' guy looks really chilled :D Please do some more artwork ;D I'd even put that on my wallpaper haha (something with the Tux guy, that is). btw you could call him Richard Tex (get it ;D?)

Well, I got this idea.. and now it's quite hard get it away: a comic loosely based on some tv-series comedy when pretty different people live in somewhat very close; a shared flat for example.

I've a vague idea about their characterization and not even quite sure if it's doable as comic; but I would share my impression with you.
The "global share" it's their source of money, plus other "impression" who the three entities behind.. so

Wynnie (I know, female name.. but it's a creepy young man, so I think its fine if I keep him a little "ambiguous") - look young as a kid, I know that Microsoft it's long stage from long time.. but their Windows is tipical to "completely change face" on every version (98/Me/XP/Vista...) usually for let to the past the disastrous image of the previous windows. Obviusly he's unsympathetic and unpleasant little creepy guy. He don't need to be sympathetic. The richest, fickle and strongly static in his believing: if something is like that.. it should remain this way.

Lisa - I try loosely inspire her face as ally mcbeal (http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/v/vonda-shepard/album-songs-from-ally-mcbeal-featuring-vonda-shepard-television-series.jpg): apple point much on its image, so.. what better of a nice looking professional gal? She's related by blood with Wynnie, thus don't come directly from the same family.

Tux - Guess who's? Poor idealistic guy, scientifically smart... sometime too much, sometime too much smart.. to only result dumb to other's eyes. I've tried to keep the design close to daniel faraday (http://cinematicallycorrect.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/daniel-faraday_l.jpg?w=225&h=300).

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=163551&d=1279223496

Kdar
September 18th, 2010, 05:45 PM
first test comic strip done!!!
Who remember steve job's refusal of adobe flash on ipad?

Here's the stuff
http://yfrog.com/6wapplevsadobeflashj

nice!

ebasa
September 18th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Shouldn't it be "I am a PC, I am a Mac, Linux is ME" since we take a different approach?

Merk42
September 18th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Shouldn't it be "I am a PC, I am a Mac, Linux is ME" since we take a different approach?A 'different approach' would be something other than the whole "I'm a Mac/PC/Linux" thing in the first place.

alexan
September 18th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Whatever the comic would contain, I definitely like your picture! The 'Tux' guy looks really chilled :D Please do some more artwork ;D I'd even put that on my wallpaper haha (something with the Tux guy, that is). btw you could call him Richard Tex (get it ;D?)

Glad to see you'd like the character design... I had few idea that with the time are getting a bit obsolete; hope to get back in business with this idea.
If someone want to see what happen next.. the rss are aviable on webcomic page:
http://fudfeed.webcomic.ws/
As you notice I've set the definitive names. "Linux" name is "Foster"... so his name get "fossy" for short (F.O.S.S.)

recently I did notice that there's real life person "Lisa" in the Apple family. So the "Apple" girl is now "Roxanne" (somewhat recall OSX)

nice!
Thanks! :guitar:

Shouldn't it be "I am a PC, I am a Mac, Linux is ME" since we take a different approach?
Well, I hope to try (as best) to fair play... try as best I can to spoil all the "characteristic" leaks of all character.

The basic idea is more about "three friends".
Windows: a successful and very boy repressed by his Microholics evangelist family
OSX: a entrepreneur young woman with lot of skill to manage/find business... but sometime to addicted to it and unable to see the real world
Linux: a decay idealistic man, but with a strong willing... he'd still try to talk about better world, but the world don't talk his language to understand.

A 'different approach' would be something other than the whole "I'm a Mac/PC/Linux" thing in the first place.
Nah, it didn't work... something other than this is already done, it's called "Anything Else" :P