PDA

View Full Version : Best Ubuntu release to date

afroman10496
July 15th, 2010, 07:34 PM
My fav was Ubuntu 8.04. It had the best orange theme out of all the Ubuntus, and it was the first release I tried. Yours?

Cam!
July 15th, 2010, 07:48 PM
This is pretty much a pointless poll, since the most recent version will always be the "best". In fact, I'm gonna go the extra mile, and say 10.10 will be the best release!:P

Austin25
July 15th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Karmic isn't there.

gemmakaru
July 15th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I'd vote for karmic. That's maybe not so much a technical decision as what it has done for me.

KiwiNZ
July 15th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I changed the thread title to look better given than Ubuntu is still being released.

Shakz
July 15th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Would vote Karmic. My nephew still runs the release I put on an old laptop for him and he refuses to upgrade. It had style. Lucid seems so generic to me.

chessnerd
July 15th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Hardy will always have a special place in my heart. It was very solid for me, and I agree with the OP, it had the best orange theme of any Ubuntu. In fact, I would argue the best theme overall. In any case, I think it had the best default background of any OS, Linux or otherwise. Also, it was the first Linux OS I ever used.

My second favorite is probably Jaunty. It seemed to be a really solid release for a non-LTS and was the second Ubuntu version I ever really used.

My third is Lucid. It's been pretty solid, but has caused me problems (like my sig says) however, those problems might have gone away in the most recent kernel update. It hasn't frozen since then...

My fourth is Karmic. I didn't like it. To me, it was the Windows ME of Ubuntu...

I never used Intrepid (not really, I had it installed for less than a week before going to Jaunty) so I can't fairly give that one a rating. I have never used anything earlier than Hardy.

bug67
July 15th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I vote for 9.10, Karmic. My reasoning is this:

1. 8.10 Is where it all started for me. It was probably awesome but, I never could get the darn wi-fi to work on it so, I waited until...

2. 9.04. Everything worked out of the box except for the intel graphics bug. I ran a work around and all was well.

3. 9.10. EVERYTHING worked out of the box. No futzing with anything. Discovered Linux Mint 8 during this time. Fell in love with it.

4. Installed 10.04. Didn't like the direction and some of the funcionality Ubuntu was taking. Waited for Linux Mint 9 (based on Ubuntu (10.04). Was kinda buggy due to, what I am guessing, were upstream Ubuntu issues. Didn't feel like taking the time to "fix" things. These are mostly superficial GUI problems but still.

5. I reinstalled and am currently running Linux Mint 8 (based on 9.10, Karmic) and all is extremely well once again with my universe.

LeifAndersen
July 15th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy / Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid / Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic

Ran out of poll options did we?

Anyway, I think 9.10 was the best, sadly it doesn't run on my latest machine, so I have to use 10.04. Still 10.04 is good though, I'd say it's tied with 9.04, and just behind 8.04. (Given the technology at the time that is. ;) ).

cariboo
July 15th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Where's the option for the next version? :)

TriBlox6432
July 15th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Karmic, but it's not an option...

kukker32
July 15th, 2010, 08:52 PM
i vote karmic koala too but were is it???

Simian Man
July 15th, 2010, 09:03 PM
People will usually say the last version - hence all the votes for Karmic. The reason is that the really old versions seem ancient now, the current version is giving them problems, but by now they've forgotten all of the problems the last version gave and they had to workaround :).

I voted for Hardy, because that was the only time so far I think an Ubuntu release has been better than a contemporary Fedora release.

kaldor
July 15th, 2010, 09:10 PM
My fav was Ubuntu 8.04. It had the best orange theme out of all the Ubuntus, and it was the first release I tried. Yours?

Hardy for me as well. I had loads of problems, but that was mainly my fault. I was using compiz at highest settings with LOADS of eye-candy and it froze all the time. It probably killed all my RAM because I'd play games at max settings while running compiz along with it.

It's gotten worse and worse by each release, with Lucid being the worst for me. I've installed Lucid about 3 times in hopes of fixing stuff, but I always run into different problems each time and it drives me mad. We *really* need to focus on quality instead of features. Leave the innovations to GNOME. Lucid nearly killed my laptop due to an overheat issue.

jkuzenka
July 15th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I voted Lucid 10.04 and is what I am running on my home PC currently. I started with Ubuntu 9.10. I haven't had many problems with either version with my desktop PC.

I have tried the new features Gwibber etc. but, don't use it much in 10.04.

We will see what the next release brings.:guitar:

Dustin2128
July 15th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I'd have to vote hardy, worked beautifully out of the box on my desktop with a wired connection and I agree with some of the above posters, it had the best default theme of all the ubuntus. I disliked lucid's default, but luckily it's extremely customizable. I only use it on the laptop because the wifi 'just works'. Still using 8.04 on the desktop.

Directive 4
July 15th, 2010, 09:33 PM
karmic!!!!

combo123
July 15th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Ubutnu 10.04 is best for mee ( but Karmic want sow bad) :popcorn:http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

sparky64
July 15th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I voted edgy.
It was responsible for me removing windows to free up space. I only found myself just booting windows occasionally just to update the anti-virus etc.
It was the only version i used where everything just worked. 5.1 surround,printer, palm synced fist time with kontact.
Every release since has had some aspect broken. My creative sound card refuses to play with the current release at all.(works fine on any live cd up to this release)And i haven't been able to sync my palm for the last two releases.

chamber
July 15th, 2010, 11:28 PM
I'm going for 9.10, Hardy being a VERY close second.

Only recently upgraded to Karmic and am very much impressed. It fixed a lot of the things that were broken in 9.04 on my system.

I have Lucid and Maverick running in VM's and while I do like them I still prefer Karmic more.

prodigy_
July 16th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Karmic was the best. Lucid is a huge step back (especially considering the overall reliability).

DownTown22
July 16th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Lucid by a mile! On the 5 computers I've installed it on have seen massive improvements to...well, everything. Haven't had an easier install yet!

Second place would be Karmic and then third goes to Feisty as it was the first version that I actually dedicated time to and converted my wife with!

Going through that list, I realized that I never did download or install Gutsy....

qamelian
July 16th, 2010, 02:12 AM
This is pretty much a pointless poll, since the most recent version will always be the "best". In fact, I'm gonna go the extra mile, and say 10.10 will be the best release!:P
That depends on how you define best. For me, 'Breezy Badger' was the best release because it offered (for me) the perfect blend of functionality and 'lightness'. On BB, my laptop idled at 38 degrees C. Every release since then has bumped the temperature when idle up by a couple of degrees on the same hardware. On Lucid, for example, it idles at 59 degrees. The laptop is still useable, but it overheats much more easily. I miss Good ol' Breezy! :)

Timmer1240
July 16th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Karmic love that little bear still using it too runs great!

murderslastcrow
July 16th, 2010, 06:12 AM
What about Intrepid and Karmic? Does it limit the options? Ibex is my favorite next to Lucid, although Jaunty had some cool stuff.

Screwdriver0815
July 16th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Hardy for me too!! It was the first Linux I ever used and it ran so fine, nothing will beat that for me.

Karmic and Lucid are for me some kind of the "Win98 and Win Me's" of the Ubuntu versions.

Hardy will always have a special place in my heart. I absolutely loved it.

Redo
July 16th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Lucid!

slooksterpsv
July 16th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I'm torn between Lucid Lynx and Dapper Drake. I voted for Lucid, cause it looks sleek, sexy, and is a futuristic operating system.

Dapper Drake I first used on my iBook G4 1.33GHz and it worked well, problem I had was the wireless card, had to fwcutter and use the apple files to get the Wireless to work. It was great.

doorknob60
July 16th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I really liked 7.04, great memories using it. Probably wasn't the best (newer is usually better), but I voted for it, since it was the first Linux I ever used, and I'm a little nostalgic about it. And it's less bloated than the new ones :P

Nick_Jinn
July 16th, 2010, 07:44 AM
While the latest might be the "best", I think Fiesty Fawn was the biggest jump in performance when installing programs became a whole hell of a lot easier (outside of Synaptic that is) with auto-installers....I would say Fiesty was a huge milestone that seperates it from anything that came too early before it.

Also, I love Satyrs.

8.04 is STILL the most stable we have seen so far. Newer ones are not more stable, and many good knock offs still use and support 8.04 and not Karmic or Lucid.

Lucid is a new milestone, but the advantages of Lucid are icing on the cake. Fiesty and maybe the one before it is when Ubuntu really started to become easy for non geeks to use, and Hardy Heron with the boring name was the most stable and functional so far.

Lucid is starting to make headway into Cloud computing though and venturing into selling proprietary software....a positive direction I think overall if commercial vendors can start to see value in Linux.....Cloud computing is still in its infancy though, so I think in coming years we will appreciate the advances from Karmic/Lucid more than we currently do.

scouser73
July 16th, 2010, 11:12 AM
You failed to include 9.10, Karmic Koala. Mine is 10.04

chamber
July 16th, 2010, 11:42 AM
You failed to include 9.10, Karmic Koala. Mine is 10.04

Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy / Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid / Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic

Fairly certain thats it there.

BrokenKingpin
July 16th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I voted for 10.04, as it has giving me very little trouble thus far.

llawwehttam
July 16th, 2010, 02:25 PM
9.10 Karmic has been the most stable for me. 9.04 was also very good. Since then 10.04 and 10.10 have both had problems for me.

I use arch mostly anyway so I'm not to fussed and I do distro-hop quite a lot but 9.10 will be staying on my laptop for a while.