PDA

View Full Version : Compiz is being re-written in C++

irv
July 15th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I read in the LJ that Compiz is being re-written in C++.
Just to quote a small segment of the article it said:

Besides moving from C to C++, this release brings a new developer API, and splits the rendering framework into plugins.

By splitting the rendering framework into composite and opengl plugins, Compiz can be used as the known compositing window manager or as a backend for other 3D desktop programs such XRender or Clutter.
This is going to be a great improvement to Compiz in the future. If you are interested in reading the whole article go to: http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/new-era-compiz.
And if you are interested in the tarball go to: http://releases.compiz.org/0.9.0/
enjoy

Excedio
July 15th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Looking forward to seeing what it can do. :-D

bildr
July 15th, 2010, 03:00 PM
change is inevitable, but i like keeping things the way they are so we don't have to patch a bujillion(technical term) packages to work with the new API.

gnomeuser
July 15th, 2010, 03:03 PM
ppa or it didn't happen :)

3rdalbum
July 15th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I like the idea of Nomad, even though it's a rip-off of a Windows Vista feature.

Basically, if you're VNC'ing to another computer running Compiz, then the window effects, transparency and animations will be drawn by the local Compiz, rather than the remote Compiz. This saves bandwidth and increases performance.

Vista can do this as well, and presumably Windows 7 too. But I'm sure Nomad is much more advanced, because there are a lot more effects that can be done, and not all computers will have the same Compiz plugins.

ticopelp
July 15th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Sounds great!

Also, in before "I don't use Compiz and therefore no one should it's useless urrrgh"

betrunkenaffe
July 15th, 2010, 05:42 PM
ppa or it didn't happen :)

lol

RiceMonster
July 15th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I don't use Compiz and therefore no one should it's useless urrrgh

giddyup306
July 15th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I rewrote C++ and made it C++++.

Sorry bad joke. ;)