PDA

View Full Version : pay ubuntu coming soon?

sbubba
July 15th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Hello
I've read this page (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-m-software-center-roadmap/) but I don't understand something.

Features planned (10.10): - Selling software

- Selling content for free apps (11.04)
This means what? Applications with fee will be add to the others free, or the free apps will be replace with pay apps?
In particular, can we know the name of these apps?

Thanks.

iponeverything
July 15th, 2010, 02:22 PM
It sounds to me like they want to setup an apple-app-store-like way for developers to make money on Ubuntu One. I think this would a really cool thing if they can make it work.

Excedio
July 15th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I suggest you check this thread out.

October 10: paid software coming to the USC (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1526781)

sbubba
July 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I suggest you check this thread out.

October 10: paid software coming to the USC (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1526781)

thank you very much!!

Dragonbite
July 15th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I think it will be a great benefit to Linux's adoption providing a means to easily sell software.

Think about it, what if Microsoft decided to sell a version of MS Office for those Linux users who really need or want the features or compatibility that OpenOffice lacks (and don't want to use the free online versions of the apps)? Or Adobe selling Photoshop? Or Quicken?

Giving these vendors a means to do this which is controlled, and with the growing adoption and popularity of Linux reach a market their competitors may not be involved in may be just the niche to look into.

Plus there are already some Linux-based programs that are proprietary and cost something. Why not give an easy means for distribution and cash-flow control? Even if a small management fee comes out, the ease of distribution (less resources put out by them) can make up the difference.

Excedio
July 15th, 2010, 02:55 PM
thank you very much!!

Sure thing. :-)

gnomeuser
July 15th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I like the idea, I have two for pay packages installed, namely the Fluendo codec pack and the fluendo dvd player. I'd love to have signed builds that were kept up to date like the rest of my system.

I'd also like it if there was a donate button for all the free programs, I would love e.g. to see some more resources available to Banshee. Such a thing as the recent Amazon mp3 store integration required quite a bit of paid test downloads. I don't mind offsetting the developers cost for those things, currently there just isn't an easy way to do this, usc could be that way.

Cam!
July 15th, 2010, 03:37 PM
This is actually a great idea. This could give incentive for major developers to port some apps over to Linux!

forrestcupp
July 15th, 2010, 03:40 PM
or the free apps will be replace with pay apps?

No. The free apps will not be replaced with pay apps. We will still have the free apps with the addition of pay apps.

PuddingKnife
July 15th, 2010, 04:41 PM
From Ubuntu.com:

Ubuntu still is and always will be free to use, share and develop.

Also, + over 9000 internets to the idea of paid software. Money will bring in more development and much need legitimacy to Linux and hopefully result in a larger marketshare vs Win and OSX.

FuturePilot
July 15th, 2010, 04:46 PM

qualtch
July 15th, 2010, 04:55 PM
This concept truly seems wonderful. Might be a good way to encourage developers to make more programs to Ubuntu :)

Though on other forums, one mentioned a good point considering this becoming feature: If one pays for a software, does he have the right to recieve proper assistance in technical problems from the developer? Who has the responsibility if issues occur? If the program doesn't work for some reason (excluding e.g. if you buy a game that is way below the hardware requirements and it doesn't work), is there a refund option?

Bapun007
July 15th, 2010, 06:48 PM
No. The free apps will not be replaced with pay apps. We will still have the free apps with the addition of pay apps.

Then i use free app. I love them because they are free .