PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop crashed while updating now wont boot up

boringfrog
July 15th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I have just downloaded version 10.04 for my laptop as the previous version (9.?) stopped the internal fan from working. As it was installing the laptop got too hot and turned itself off. I have tryed to reboot but it won't. Any ideas?

boringfrog
July 15th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Come one, anyone?:)

boringfrog
July 16th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks to the community for all your thoughts and ideas...........:rolleyes:

boringfrog
July 19th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I have downloaded the live CD can I now install 10.04 without losing any of my data, pics/ music etc?

bondo101
July 19th, 2010, 09:21 PM
You will have to back up everything or you will lose it when you install ubuntu. Do you have your Drive partioned? if so then you can move your stuff to the partion that your not putting Linux on. Be careful in what you do ,read everything before you do anything.I hope ya fixed the boot up.sounds like the hd crashed. Unplug the hd and see if the machine will light up again.laptops are funkey when it comes to linux. Most companies have propretory software on there drives and sometimes software embedded into the boards , besides the bios. beware.I have a sony vaio that i fight all the time, but not my main machine. Try to get the ubuntu installed and use vbox for your windows.
Hang in there remember free isn't always easy.;)