PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] clean up utility

beelzebufo
July 15th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I need a good clean up utility for ubuntu, I have sweeper, but that doesn't seem to really do much, you guys know of any others?

ubuntu27
July 15th, 2010, 08:00 AM
You could also try BleachBit (http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/). It is in the repositories:

sudo apt-get install bleachbit (apt://bleachbit)

thehipho
July 15th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Ubuntu Tweak

meadhikari
July 15th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I normally use "sudo apt-get clean" and "sudo apt-get autoclean", and occasionally run "sudo apt-get autoremove"

jtarin
July 15th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Other than removing /temp files,standard package removal and downloaded installed packages from cache there is not much to clean up in Linux. Windows gives you the mindset that crude builds up after awhile and slows things down or errors, not so in Linux.

beelzebufo
July 15th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I installed bleach bit... how do I use it? it installed, told me what it does, but now I can't find it anywhere, this isn't the first time I have had a hard time simply running programs on ubuntu... I am a bit dumb when it comes to linux, it seems like there is always some huge complicated process to run anything

beelzebufo
July 15th, 2010, 08:57 AM
ha ha, nevermind, I spoke before I thought once again. thanks guys, its right there under applications

HermanAB
July 15th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Hmm, the 'rm -Rf' command is pretty good too.

jtarin
July 15th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I installed bleach bit... how do I use it? it installed, told me what it does, but now I can't find it anywhere, this isn't the first time I have had a hard time simply running programs on ubuntu... I am a bit dumb when it comes to linux, it seems like there is always some huge complicated process to run anything
yes the "menu" concept can be slightly overwhelming.:p

atomizer
July 15th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Hmm, the 'rm -Rf' command is pretty good too.

Pretty good in messing things up if you don't know what you are doing.....

So.. Don't use it, certainly not with sudo if you don't really know what you are doing (you can delete your whole "home" or worse your whole system with a bit of bad luck)