PDA

View Full Version : Python Editor

Hawk666
July 15th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Hey everyone, I am undertaking a little hobby project, something I've wanted to do for a while now, and decided to take a crack at Python. I was wondering if there are any visual Python editors (kinda like a visual studio type thing) I know it may be alot to ask and I know a lot has to go into a program like that. If it doesn't exist that's fine I'm more interested in finding something with a little more usability the gedit (color coding is helpful but i'm lookin for a little more)

P.S lots of experience with HTML, and java script, some java, VB, ASP, PHP and i've seen C/C++ but haven't really worked with it.

ubudog
July 15th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Emacs is really awesome for me. See my signature. :)

lykwydchykyn
July 15th, 2010, 03:36 AM
There's Eric, which has some handy features if you're working with pyQt, and there's Stani's Python Editor if you're working with WXGtk. I had problems with SPE crashing on me when I tried it, and Eric is just not fun to actually write code in (the text editor portion has far to many bells and whistles for my taste, and I couldn't figure out how to turn them all off).

I've heard a lot of people say good things about Eclipse, and while I used it to get through a couple semesters of Java classes back when, I never had much luck getting the python features working well on Ubuntu. YMMV.

I use Emacs now, and it does what I need though when it comes to Python it probably won't do much for you that gedit doesn't do already.

What features are you looking for specifically?

lukeiamyourfather
July 15th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Maybe PyDev for Eclipse?

ubudog
July 15th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Maybe PyDev for Eclipse?

Also a good option.

oldfred
July 15th, 2010, 05:16 AM
I like geany. It is in the repository. The only thing missing is a real debugger but I just add print statements. Easy to run code and see results. For python need to set default to convert tabs to spaces.

Editors:
Too many choices but many are free so you can try them
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors

xsinsx
July 15th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Theres always the standard python ide IDLE. I dont use it. but its an option. I personally use a combination of geany, vim, and gedit.

simeon87
July 15th, 2010, 09:41 AM
You could also look into plugins for gedit, there are quite a few.

I use gedit as for Python, I don't need more than a few documents open at the same time, syntax highlighting and just hack away. Many things can be expressed concisely in Python so the code remains manageable without an IDE.

Junkieman
July 15th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I have been using Dr Python (http://drpython.sourceforge.net/) lately, I like it for editing py source files.

Also check out Quickly (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Quickly), it basically combines various technologies and makes it easy to start writing Python apps with GUI interfaces ;)

Hawk666
July 15th, 2010, 12:35 PM
thanks guys i'll have a look at a few and see wat i like

timvoet
July 15th, 2010, 02:13 PM
along similar lines to PyDev for Eclipse, there is the python plugins for netbeans( www.netbeans.org ) that i like alot.

km0r3
July 15th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Generally I use (g)Vim for writing Python programs in combination with Syntax Highlighting and Tab Autocompletion.
I use it for large- and small-sized projects.

Maybe PyDev for Eclipse?
That's also not a bad combination :)