PDA

View Full Version : Open source website

Hairball
July 15th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Hi everyone! I got a new project started today and was wondering if any of you would be interested in testing it out. As far as I know, it's the very first open source website, though I find it hard to believe no one has tried this before.

Anyway, the url is http://www.fossible.com ... as in 'anything is fossible!'

If you have an svn client, the url is http://fossible.com/html and the user/pass is fossible/fossible

I'm very excited to see what this site evolves into!

Calmor
July 15th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Hi everyone! I got a new project started today and was wondering if any of you would be interested in testing it out.

Is this kind of like the crowdsourcing equivalent to Seinfeld?

Hairball
July 15th, 2010, 01:29 AM
haha yeah I guess it is kind of. but even nothing in particular turned out to be pretty awesome.

chris200x9
July 15th, 2010, 01:37 AM
seems like it'd be chaotic

edit: how do we get stuff on the server? ssh? If so fossible fossible does not work I get wrong password.

edit2: does it have databases? What's to keep someone from hijacking it, i.e upload wordpress or similar and then just use it as their own personal blog until someone deletes it. I say good idea but is there any sort of project leader or direction or is it "hey free webspace for everybody to trash" in which case it'd just turn into a waste land.

Lucradia
July 15th, 2010, 01:41 AM
seems like it'd be chaotic

Just like that ascii thing that went to hell with all the trolls editing every portion of the whateveritscalled.

Bachstelze
July 15th, 2010, 03:26 AM
As far as I know, it's the very first open source website, though I find it hard to believe no one has tried this before.

A lot of open source projects keep their website "code" under an open source license. "open source" does not mean "anyone can put any junk they want on it".

crush304
July 15th, 2010, 03:30 AM
you should not let the public direct edit html, it is a massive security hole. if you want to let anyone create / edit pages set up a wiki.

imgx64
July 15th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Soo... A wiki without the wiki software? I'm not sure I understand the point. :-|

Ghil
July 15th, 2010, 04:46 AM
oh Funky, it's now redirecting to 4chan. o_0

Old Marcus
July 15th, 2010, 04:49 AM
How long did that take? 3, 4 hours?

Ghil
July 15th, 2010, 04:55 AM
at most. see people? That's why Open source will never catch on. (:P)