PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] bootable usb keys - how to tell if this is possible?

poldie
July 15th, 2010, 12:36 AM
I have some USB keys which can be made bootable, and some which can't. It seems to be random. Admittedly, it's older, smaller ones which can't, in my experience.

I want to buy a USB key which is large enough to install a full, normal version of Ubuntu 10.04 onto, which seems to require about 2.5 gigs. I can get a 16gb Sandisk Cruzer Blade for about £17, which would leave plenty of space for apps/data, but does anyone know if this is definitely bootable? What is it about them which makes them bootable?

Darkness Des
July 15th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Most newer USB Keys can be booted from. As long as they have enough space on them, they can be used.

poldie
July 16th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Most newer USB Keys can be booted from. As long as they have enough space on them, they can be used.

I've just ordered one - guess there's only one way to find out!

Cheers.

jimmers
July 17th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Hi Poldie,
I have Lucid running on a Kingston data Traveller (16Gb), bought from Argos, no trouble at all, runs like a dream, also have Maverick (Testing) on a Kingston Data Traveller (8Gb), also bought from Argos, Kingston is brills.

Tried the SanCruzer type, but now just use them for storage i.e 16 and 8 Gb drives,
if you have'nt already decided on which drive you will use, I reccomend Kingston.

Luck

Jim

efflandt
July 17th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Just make sure that your Cruzer does not have U3, because that includes an embedded pseudo cdrom (sr device) for the U3 encryption, which can greatly extend boot time. I have heard that there are ways to remove that, so not sure if that helps.

I just know that booting 9.10 iso on a 2 GB mini Cruzer w/U3 took twice as long to boot as other USB sticks, or even SD or microSD on USB.

poldie
July 17th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Just make sure that your Cruzer does not have U3, because that includes an embedded pseudo cdrom (sr device) for the U3 encryption, which can greatly extend boot time. I have heard that there are ways to remove that, so not sure if that helps.

I just know that booting 9.10 iso on a 2 GB mini Cruzer w/U3 took twice as long to boot as other USB sticks, or even SD or microSD on USB.

I've already ordered it - no sign of U3 on the amazon page. Looks like there is a way to get rid of it if it's on there. I'm going to check it out the day I get it, install Ubuntu, do some timings etc. If it's slow, or I can't get rid of U3, or I can't boot from it then it's going straight back. I'll update this comment either way.

cheers.

Yeah, this key is bootable.

bumanie
July 17th, 2010, 10:49 PM
The U3 uninstaller works fine and once U3 is gone, the usb stick works as it should - that U3 was a terrible idea, imo.