PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What am I missing by using an old release? (due to compatibility)

gzz
July 15th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Just learning linux, and (after hours of messing with it) learned that ATI isnt supporting my video card after 8.04, so if I want good 3d performance I need to run that. (unless someone knows a workaround, but I've searched quite a bit) Right now I'm running 8.10 (backtrack), and what I'm trying to decide is, will I be happier upgrading to 10.04 and having poor 3d and better everything else, or will 8.04 be good enough for a happy linux experience without too many limitations? I've read that the newer releases offer a smoother desktop experience, do i need to sacrifice that if I want a smooth 3d experience? What would be the pitfalls of running 8.04?

mikewhatever
July 15th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Well, 10.04 is slicker and has Facebook/Twitter app integrated. The packages are newer too, but mostly it's Ubuntu/Gnome, same thing. From what I understand, the the 3d performance drop is pretty major, so that I'd probably stay with 8.04. Depends on your needs, really.

ssulaco
July 15th, 2010, 04:37 AM
What would be the pitfalls of running 8.04?
Nothing,unless you dont like stability;)Hardy is solid...
8.04 EOL is April 2011 (Desktop)
April 2013 (Server)