PDA

View Full Version : How do you improve productivity?

rottentree
July 15th, 2010, 12:06 AM
That's my big question though the question would be more correct if I asked: How do you prevent slacking ?

I'm not against entertainment and having fun but I got to the point where it really bothers me that I'm not really doing anything meaningful and even when I really decide that now I'm going to: learn a new programming language, develop a small game, save Christmas etc. the most I can squeeze out of myself is half an hour of concentration then it's back to being lazy.

I was thinking about switching to a tiling environment or something similar but I couldn't find one which was both easy to setup and visually pleasing (ugly colors :( ) also I don't even know if it would help.

Oh and I'm curious about everyday advice too not just computer related :)

tgalati4
July 15th, 2010, 12:11 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1522905

JDShu
July 15th, 2010, 01:40 AM
When I really need to get things done, I pack my things and go to the library. Preferably without a computer. When I need a computer though, I turn off all instant messengers and email clients. If its something that doesn't require the internet, I make sure that no browser is open as well.

If what i need done is not that urgent, then it suffices to move to a table that is not in my bedroom.

One of my biggest difficulties is getting off my behind and going to the library or other place to study. For me, I tend to motivate myself best by "starting a new day" and taking a shower and making myself a cup of coffee.

Legendary_Bibo
July 15th, 2010, 01:44 AM
what's a tiling environment?

Tibuda
July 15th, 2010, 01:47 AM
what's a tiling environment?

I think he meant "tiling window manager", like Awesome, DWM, WMII, XMonad, ScrotWM and others.

EDIT: See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiling_window_manager

Directive 4
July 15th, 2010, 02:22 AM
use a pen and paper

NightwishFan
July 15th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Gnome itself has improved my productivity a great deal.

theraje
July 15th, 2010, 03:03 AM
I noticed that I work better when I don't have anything going on in the background. No music, no TV, etc. I know some people claim that it helps them focus, but the brain doesn't multitask very well without losing something here or there.

For example, when coding, I make fewer mistakes when I have nothing going on like music, and I tend to work faster.

When you get bored, it's easier to want to do something productive. The biggest enemy to productivity is "passive" entertainment. Cut that out of the equation a bit, and it helps a lot. :)

PurposeOfReason
July 15th, 2010, 03:22 AM
More monitors. If anyone wants to chip into the "I need a 3rd monitor" fund, I'll be more then willing to say where to send cash. :)

TheNessus
July 15th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Ritalin, Coffee, and no music. Best working at post-midnight hours when its dead silent.

I'm nothing short of a zombie.

Legendary_Bibo
July 15th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Waiting until the dealine approaches.

techrush
July 15th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Switching anything (including tiling WMs) does NOT improve productivity. Pick the tools you need to get whatever job done, learn them inside and out and DO NOT switch unless you absolutely have to. The more time you spend learning how to use a new WM or a new IDE etc. is basically time wasted that you could be using to be productive.

Don't get me wrong i think its important to try out new stuff and see whats out there but this is something to be done in free time. You don't spend time playing with a million different types of hammers if you are a carpenter, but researching nail guns in your free time wouldn't be a bad idea.

Old Marcus
July 15th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Waiting until the dealine approaches.

So, so true. :(

tjwoosta
July 15th, 2010, 04:55 AM
I do actually find that I can get things done quicker in tiling wm's but its only because everything I use is lightweight and keyboard based and Ive developed a muscle memory for everything. (been using the same setup for a very long time)

That said I dont think switching to a tiling WM would help with produtivity because theres a fairly steep learning curve where you become much less productive just trying to learn everything and tweak things around to you liking.

Really the only requirement for becoming productive is willpower. WM/DE is pretty much irrelevant if you cant concentrate and get things done now ;)

Austin25
July 15th, 2010, 05:38 AM
simple:
No ubuntuforums.
No Stumbleupon.

Legendary_Bibo
July 15th, 2010, 05:42 AM
simple:
No ubuntuforums.
No Stumbleupon.
^ This, and I might add facebook, or at least delete all the pretty girls off your face book that you like talking to.

Austin25
July 15th, 2010, 06:42 AM
^ This, and I might add facebook, or at least delete all the pretty girls off your face book that you like talking to.
I don't even have a facebook account.