PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Yet another Dell 720 printer installation problem

Rex Bouwense
July 14th, 2010, 11:00 PM
About a year ago I installed my Dell 720 printer using the Lexmark driver z600 on my netbook. I know that Ubuntu does not play well with Lexmark but the drivers installed and I had a printer. Now, I installed Lucid on the netbook and tried to duplicate my feat and behold I got a nasty error message. Does any one know what it means? What do I do now?

cariboo
July 15th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Have you got libstdc++5 installed, and if so what version?

Rex Bouwense
July 15th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Have you got libstdc++5 installed, and if so what version?
I may have been using Ubuntu for a while but I am still a noob at heart. I have no idea if I have libstdc++5 installed and if I do what version. How do I find out?
After I posted that stupid answer I realized that I know how to find out and the answer is no I do not have libstdc++5 installed. I have libstdc++6 installed, version 4.4.3-4ubuntu5. Does that mean I am screwed?

LowSky
July 15th, 2010, 03:13 PM
No your not screwed. You can probably have both installed side by side, all you need is the file, and its easy to get from here:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/i386/libstdc++5/download

if you need additional pacakages search for them on here... I found your required file in the Jaunty repos

http://packages.ubuntu.com/

Rex Bouwense
July 15th, 2010, 04:12 PM
From reading your response, I would assume that I must download and install the required program. It would make sense that it would be in the Jaunty repositories because I was using Jaunty before I installed old Lucid here and it worked fine then. Is this a program that will install side by side? Many will not if you have a newer one installed. I guess I will find out.

LowSky
July 15th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Yes you need to download and install the program. Because they are named different verisons they should in most cases install side by side.

Rex Bouwense
July 15th, 2010, 09:21 PM
OK, I successfully installed libstdc++5. I then installed z600llpddk_2.0-2_i386.deb (successfully) but when I tried to install the driver (z600cups_1.0-2_i386.deb), I got an error message Error: Failed to satisfy all dependencies (broken cache). So I downloaded the driver again but got the same error message. I do not remember it being this difficult when I installed it before. Frustrating. Now what?

Rex Bouwense
July 19th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Update on this beast. After I installed libstdc++5_3.3.6-17 and z600llpddk_2.0-2__i386.deb and z600cups_1.0-2_i386.deb,I kept on uninstalling the driver because the system told me to uninstall it I searched in different forums and different sites and decided to not uninstall it the next time and CUPS let me choose the z600 Lexmark printer and I can print now. Unfortunately, I now have a big red dot in my top panel with a white horizontal line running through it It, in effect tells me that I cannot update until I uninstall a broken package and guess which package is broken (the printer driver for the Dell 720/Lexmark z600). What next. I really hate to get another printer since the printer cartridges for this one are relatively cheap and I do not print a great deal of documents in a year. Does anyone have any suggestions?