PDA

View Full Version : C++ GUI's In Ubuntu

_SteveM
July 14th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I've been developing basic C/C++/.NET applications on Windows in my spare time, I've been using Linux for years but only just started on the development side.

I am using Geany and creating some basic applications in C++ and getting along great with them, it's time to expand some knowledge! I would like to develop a proper front-end to them.

First of all, I am new to GTK+ and would like to start creating proper interfaces instead of command line applications.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to get started with creating GTK+ interfaces AND applying them to C++ applications?

I have seen a few links here, but not sure where to start? I've heard of Glade, but currently no idea how to get started with it for C++, or even if Glade is the best way to go.

Any help on getting started with C++ GUI's would be helpful.

Thank you

CptPicard
July 14th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Well, there's gtkmm, but if you want to really know where the buzz is in C++ GUIs, it's in Qt -- a really nice GUI library and platform. So you may have to take a look in Kubuntu's direction for the whole KDE deal.

lykwydchykyn
July 15th, 2010, 03:28 AM
I have often found it best to learn how to write them by hand first, that gives you a better idea of how it all fits together and is actually a bit less work overall for small projects.

I'd start with walking through the tutorial, and building from there:

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk-tutorial/stable/