PDA

View Full Version : Problems installing 64 bit but 32 bit appears to work well

ddevore
July 14th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I have an HP dv9000, yes one of the problem machines, I have been running 64 bit Ubuntu on it for about 3 years now dual booting with Vista. A couple of days ago I went to boot my Vista and it took a nose dive, which it does not want to recover from or allow me to install Windows at all but that is not that big of a deal. I have downloaded 10.04 in 32 and 64 bit and found there is a big difference between the two when booting.

32 bit:
Boots to a gui screen with options of installing or using the live cd with a language selection.
When it boots it comes up with no problems even without adding the option of noapic and the screen resolution is good.

64 bit:
Boots direct into the OS with no install or live options, minor I know.
When it boots if I don't catch it to add the options the display is all messed up and I have to reboot.
I have to add the option noapic before it boots (I think that is the right one) for the screen to be display anything. But, when it does come up with this option the resolution is way down though I didn't check the actual resolution I know it is much lower than the 32 bit version.
Also, I have been running 10.04 for a couple of months now and am only doing this because of the windows mess. Before every time I installed updates I had to reinstall the video drivers which was a real pain in the butt.

Questions:
Since I can't boot another machine right now in 64 bit is the resolution lower by default?

Is there another option I can use that is better than the noapic?

Is anyone else seeing the problem with the updates like this or could this be related to my upgrading which didn't go smoothly?

Last question. Can a 64 bit version of windows run as a client using virtualization on a 32 bit Ubuntu installation?