PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 Server Install Problem

wdet
July 14th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I've installed 10.04 Server on a desktop three times. The install goes well and after the installation, the server reboots and I can login with no problems. I can also look around the file system and run some of the utilities. My network can also see the server. The problem comes when I restart the server for the first time after the installation restart. The system starts to come up and then the screen goes blank. The computer is still running but there is no video signal to the monitor; and the network cannot see the system. I believe this has something to do with the master boot record but I'm not sure. :confused:

cariboo
July 14th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Did you install a gui? Can you start in recovery mode? Did you install openssh-server, and if so can you ssh in to the server?

wdet
July 15th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks for your reply. No, I didn't install a gui. I was working from the command line and was planning on installing a gui at a later time. I'm really new at Linux so I don't know how to start in recovery mode. What do I need to do? Also, I'm not sure if I installed openssh-server. What should I be looking for? As I mentioned, I am a newbie and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mörgæs
July 16th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Can you install 9.10?