PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Unix

Abu Azzubair
July 14th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Hello everyone

I've found myself very interested in Terminal and in command lines (I feel more attached to command lines from inside myself), and have a coupla questions about Unix

Unix is meant to be the top operating system and I keep hearing a lot of good comments on it

So

> To learn Unix and get deep into it as a career, do I have to be really really committed to learning it? since I keep hearing that it's a hard system to learn about

> What kind of careers would I be able to enter if I know how to use Unix efficiently?

> I am finding myself going away from Engineering and getting more into programming and stuff like that. Is Unix better for programming or is it just the best for security?

> And finally, what are the advantages of being more based on using command lines over graphical interface (as in "fixing programs and problems graphically rather than through command lines")?

Thanks a lot in advance O:) and please, the answer to these questions means A LOT to me

QIII
July 14th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Hello everyone

I've found myself very interested in Terminal and in command lines (I feel more attached to command lines from inside myself), and have a coupla questions about Unix

Unix is meant to be the top operating system and I keep hearing a lot of good comments on it

So

> To learn Unix and get deep into it as a career, do I have to be really really committed to learning it? since I keep hearing that it's a hard system to learn about

> What kind of careers would I be able to enter if I know how to use Unix efficiently?

> I am finding myself going away from Engineering and getting more into programming and stuff like that. Is Unix better for programming or is it just the best for security?

> And finally, what are the advantages of being more based on using command lines over graphical interface (as in "fixing programs and problems graphically rather than through command lines")?

Thanks a lot in advance O:) and please, the answer to these questions means A LOT to me

I don't know that Unix is meant to be the "top operating system". It is solid, stable and venerable with years of use. It's descendants, like Solaris and the BSDs, benefit from that.

Most modern Unix systems (and its descendants. I'll just say Unix for brevity.) have graphical user interfaces like everything else. It is not all terminal out there. Some server applications will be terminal based, just as Windows or Linux servers can be set up without GUIs.

Yes, you would have to be committed to learning it, in the same way that you would have to be committed to learning Linux or Windows to the extent that you needed to depending on what you want to do with them.

With regard to careers, the options would include anything you'd find with any other OS, but Unix would be the OS. You would have to consider the relative size of the market.

Unix is not "better" for programming. Programming is a concept generally divorced from tight ties to OSs, except in cases like Unix Shell programming and OS-specific languages or details. Some languages and technologies, such as .NET, are generally Windows-specific, although you can use MonoDevelop in Linux to develop applications that will work both in Linux and Windows.

Being proficient in both terminal and GUI environments is desirable. GUI IDEs certainly make many aspects of programming easier. Again, Shell programming can be a slightly different animal.