PDA

View Full Version : This Forum Kills Other Forums

Excedio
July 14th, 2010, 05:36 PM
In the last could of months, I became a member of another forum. Linux, in a way. This is the reason why I've been less active on here, trying to see what else is out there.

However, I must say... There is no other place like this forum. Ubuntu forums is just a great place to be. All aspects are soo much better than the others, from top to bottom.

Mods are far superior here at regulating the forum and with monitoring it's users.

The user group is much more friendly and acts more like a community. Not to mention, it's hard to find such an eclectic group that gets along as well as it does here.

The other forum I've been at seems so chaotic, it's rediculous. Up to 5 threads about the exact same thing happen quite frequently. Kind of annoying.

Anyway. Just wanted to say that I'm a proud Ubuntu Forum member. :-D

chriswyatt
July 14th, 2010, 05:40 PM
It's a malicious cron job:

sudo killall other forums

Excedio
July 14th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Dang...didn't work. It's still chaos over there!

Haylz
July 14th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I second that. I am also a proud member! :)

Excedio
July 14th, 2010, 05:54 PM

You're pretty new...Welcome!

Austin25
July 14th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I must say, the eye appeasing style based on the human theme beats most other forums.

rabid9797
July 14th, 2010, 06:02 PM
meh

Excedio
July 14th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I must say, the eye appeasing style based on the human theme beats most other forums.

Agreed. Many other forums use vBulliten as well, but this one seems to....nice. :-)

Excedio
July 14th, 2010, 06:03 PM
meh

Deep thought?

rabid9797
July 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Deep thought?

Actually yeah. I had to think about my answer for a minute or two. The long answer is: i've seen worse and i've seen much better. Ubuntu is nice because it has a very active userbase across the majority of its forums, but it's nothing spectacular. No offense(I like it here, I promise!) but if I was showcasing forums/forum styles to someone ubuntuforums wouldn't be the first to come to mind.

alexan
July 14th, 2010, 06:17 PM
sudo resurrect other forum
It's still in alpha, but you would be happy to know that heal is finally beta... next to be released.

Excedio
July 14th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Actually yeah. I had to think about my answer for a minute or two. The long answer is: i've seen worse and i've seen much better. Ubuntu is nice because it has a very active userbase across the majority of its forums, but it's nothing spectacular. No offense(I like it here, I promise!) but if I was showcasing forums/forum styles to someone ubuntuforums wouldn't be the first to come to mind.

I'm sure there may be others out there that are good. I personally have not stumbled across them thought. :-)

Excedio
July 14th, 2010, 06:24 PM
sudo resurrect other forum
It's still in alpha, but you would be happy to know that heal is finally beta... next to be released.

Good to hear they are making progress. :-D

Austin25
July 14th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Well, we sure haven't made an impact on 4chan, that's for sure!

Excedio
July 14th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I think i've been there.....twice

ubunterooster
July 15th, 2010, 03:25 AM
A member of 7 forums, guess which I spend the most time on?
i must say, the eye appeasing style based on the human theme beats most other forums.
+1

Khakilang
July 15th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Yeah! This forum is cool. Nice people, nice moderator, great info, great help and feel at home. I would have lost in Ubuntu if not for this forum.

earthpigg
July 15th, 2010, 07:43 AM
we're to restricted here for this to be the only forum i visit.

i follow current events and politics fairly closely, and am passionate about it.

often times, i just want to scream "THIS IS NOT A TECHNICAL PROBLEM, IT IS A POLICY PROBLEM WITH XYZ!!".... but can't, because it may be interpreted as 'political' or whatever.

it sometimes feels as if all we can do is pat each other on the back and pretend we feel that all problems are technical in nature. inadequate and not intellectually honest.

so, i go to my other (http://atarchive.gotdns.org:8080/UtopiaForums/boardforum?id=politics) forum i kill hours on for that.

As a support forum with the cafe as an afterthought, however, i will immediately agree that UF serves it's purpose incredibly well.

quinnten83
July 15th, 2010, 11:03 AM

which would be the one then?
I say we go there and copy them...

Stancel
July 15th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Compared to what other forums? Linux Forums? Yeah. Going to Linux Forums is really painful, there are ads all over the site, it's annoying. There are even ads in people's posts!

Excedio
July 15th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Yeah! This forum is cool. Nice people, nice moderator, great info, great help and feel at home. I would have lost in Ubuntu if not for this forum.

Definate +1 to this. :-)

we're to restricted here for this to be the only forum i visit.

i follow current events and politics fairly closely, and am passionate about it.

often times, i just want to scream "THIS IS NOT A TECHNICAL PROBLEM, IT IS A POLICY PROBLEM WITH XYZ!!".... but can't, because it may be interpreted as 'political' or whatever.

it sometimes feels as if all we can do is pat each other on the back and pretend we feel that all problems are technical in nature. inadequate and not intellectually honest.

so, i go to my other (http://atarchive.gotdns.org:8080/UtopiaForums/boardforum?id=politics) forum i kill hours on for that.

As a support forum with the cafe as an afterthought, however, i will immediately agree that UF serves it's purpose incredibly well.

Personally...I disagree...but I respect your views. I am not a political person, so it's nice not to see the arguments that can/will ensue when it's brought up. Our membership is just too eclectic for political talk to happen smoothly.

which would be the one then?
I say we go there and copy them...

To be completely honest, I'd rather that not be posted here. Seems...I don't know if this is the right word but...rude to link us to other forums to start using them. If the OP wants to shoot you a PM have at it. :-)

Compared to what other forums? Linux Forums? Yeah. Going to Linux Forums is really painful, there are ads all over the site, it's annoying. There are even ads in people's posts!

In my experience...it's been quite general. Most..if not all..of the other forums I go to are chaos. As for the specific one I'm referring to in my original post...I'd be happy to PM you the answer But I don't want all the people reading this to go over there and start criticizing them. It's still a good forum over there...just needs some cleaning/organization.

Also...I completely agree about the ads. I really hate that while i'm at work and have to use IE7 with no AdBlocker Plus.

ticopelp
July 15th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I don't spend a lot of time in the Cafe anymore, but as far as utility is concerned I've gotten more practical use out of this forum than any other, hands down.

Excedio
July 15th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I don't spend a lot of time in the Cafe anymore, but as far as utility is concerned I've gotten more practical use out of this forum than any other, hands down.

I recognize your avatar. I used to see you a lot over here in the Cafe. A shame it's not that way any longer. :-)