PDA

View Full Version : Question about Android phones

redfox1160
July 14th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I'm getting a decent paying job, and thinking about upgrading my phone. Currently have a LG Dare, and I want to get an Android phone (probably the Droid X). I'm going to buy my own individual plan (currently I'm on a family plan) and I'm pretty sure I can get 450 min with unlimited texting, data, and web for $90/month (Verizon Plans (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/plansingleline.jsp?lid=//global//plans//individual)). I was wondering, would I be able to use the GPS functions of the phone, or would I have to pay extra for it? If someone has and Android phone, and could check this for me I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Johnsie
July 14th, 2010, 03:25 PM
AS far as I kow GPS comes free with my contract... but you'd need to ask someone who uses Verizon. Android is a great pick by the way... I have and HTC desire and I love it. If you can get an Android that also has a hardware keyboard I would go for that. Just make sure the CPU is fast ;-)

Excedio
July 14th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I'm getting a decent paying job, and thinking about upgrading my phone. Currently have a LG Dare, and I want to get an Android phone (probably the Droid X). I'm going to buy my own individual plan (currently I'm on a family plan) and I'm pretty sure I can get 450 min with unlimited texting, data, and web for $90/month (Verizon Plans (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/plansingleline.jsp?lid=//global//plans//individual)). I was wondering, would I be able to use the GPS functions of the phone, or would I have to pay extra for it? If someone has and Android phone, and could check this for me I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I have the HTC DROID Incredible and GPS is included at no additional cost. With Verizon, it depends on the phone you get really. All Android phones come with GPS for free.

My understanding of why this is, is because you are not using VZNavigator. You are using a 3rd-Party (Google) company for navigation.

redfox1160
July 14th, 2010, 03:32 PM
AS far as I kow GPS comes free with my contract... but you'd need to ask someone who uses Verizon. Android is a great pick by the way... I have and HTC desire and I love it. If you can get an Android that also has a hardware keyboard I would go for that. Just make sure the CPU is fast ;-)

I was considering the original droid because it had a hardware keyboard, but I really like the Droid X. Is there a reason you suggest a hardware keyboard?

Johnsie
July 14th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I'm clumsy and sometimes find on-screen keyboards hard to use, espcially while travelling in a vehicle or walking. It was the same when I had a Windows Mobile phone. My backup phone is a nokia E63 with a hardware qwerty keyboard and I can type faster and more accurately on that because i can feel the keys. I prefer typing on that to typing on my desire (and the desire has a pretty big screen). Might just be me though.

Excedio
July 14th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I'm clumsy and sometimes find on-screen keyboards hard to use, espcially while travelling in a vehicle or walking. It was the same when I had a Windows Mobile phone. My backup phone is a nokia E63 with a hardware qwerty keyboard and I can type faster and more accurately on that because i can feel the keys. I prefer typing on that to typing on my desire (and the desire has a pretty big screen). Might just be me though.

I was the same way at first. Not that I have the virtual keyboard only, I find that I am faster then with a hardware keyboard. It's all about getting used to your new keyboard. As for feeling the keys...you can (sort of) with force feedback enabled.

Same concept applies to going from a Motorola Q9c keyboard to a BB Curve keyboard. All about training yourself. :-)

I will say this though...Having a physical keyboard is a benefit if you're trying to use the terminal on your phone. he virtual keyboard will take up the bottom half og the screen while the physical will leave the full screen open. Although, if you're getting a Droid X...I wouldn't worry about it. Screen is HUGE!

Excedio
July 14th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I was considering the original droid because it had a hardware keyboard, but I really like the Droid X. Is there a reason you suggest a hardware keyboard?

If you're considering the original Moto Droid...I would be patient and wait for the Droid 2 to release. Better hardware specs and rumored to have a better physical keyboard.

Droid 2 Leak. (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/21/motorola-droid-2-stars-in-its-first-video-touts-1ghz-cpu-and-51/)

metalf8801
July 14th, 2010, 03:50 PM
its going to cost more then $90 a month because your going to also have to get a data plan which cost $30 a month also keep in mind that the price they tell you will be before taxes and other fees

also don't get unlimited text. Get a google voice account and then get the google voice app and use that to send and receive text using the data you already pay for. You can also make and receive phone calls using google voice but you I don't think you will be able to get in calling using it because you will be using a google phone number. Also if you do that do not set up google voice to forward calls to your phone or you will get text messages twice.

I have the original Motorola and its great and its still part of a family plan and I'm definitely saving money because of the family plan. So maybe you shouldn't get your own plan.

http://voice.google.com/

I hope you enjoy your new phone
Dan

whiskeylover
July 14th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Unlimited data? If I'm not mistaken, Verizon and ATT no longer offer unlimited data.

Excedio
July 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM
its going to cost more then $90 a month because your going to also have to get a data plan which cost $30 a month also keep in mind that the price they tell you will be before taxes and other fees

also don't get unlimited text. Get a google voice account and then get the google voice app and use that to send and receive text using the data you already pay for. You can also make and receive phone calls using google voice but you I don't think you will be able to get in calling using it because you will be using a google phone number. Also if you do that do not set up google voice to forward calls to your phone or you will get text messages twice.

I have the original Motorola and its great and its still part of a family plan and I'm definitely saving money because of the family plan. So maybe you shouldn't get your own plan.

http://voice.google.com/

I hope you enjoy your new phone
Dan

Just have to set it to forward the call to the VZW number or just get the Google Voice app. It has an option to place receive all calls through Google Voice and essentially turn off the phones native calling.

Unlimited data? If I'm not mistaken, Verizon and ATT no longer offer unlimited data.

They do, but may be doing away with it (http://androinica.com/2010/03/12/att-and-verizon-signal-that-unlimited-data-plans-may-come-to-end-someday/). I say, get the unlimited now and then be grandfathered in when it's no longer unlimited.

whiskeylover
July 14th, 2010, 04:00 PM
They do, but will be doing away with it. I say, get the unlimited now and then be grandfathered in when it's no longer unlimited.

Maybe Verizon. But I know for a fact that ATT did away with it last month. And heard VZ will be doing the same.

Excedio
July 14th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Maybe Verizon. But I know for a fact that ATT did away with it last month. And heard VZ will be doing the same.

Correctamundo. :-D

metalf8801
July 14th, 2010, 04:05 PM

AT&T doesn't offer unlimited data but Verizon still does at least for now

redfox1160
July 14th, 2010, 06:05 PM

The plan is $60 for 450min and unlimited texting (lowest possible min and texting) and $30 data. I think there is a $35 charge for activation as well. This may sound dumb, but I have never really looked at a phone bill before: Do they tax you on your bill? What I mean is, each time you get a bill, will there be taxes on the amount your paying verizon each month?

I have a Voice account, but I don't really use it. You can get calls to the phone using it, you just need to change your number on your account. Also, the individual plan comes with unlimited texting automatically (I think (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/plansingleline.jsp?lid=//global//plans//individual))

There are four reasons I am going away from a family plan.
1. I don't know if I can upgrade the services only for my phone.
2. Paying my parents the amount I owe could get confusing.
3. I am not eligible to upgrade.
4. I think I am getting old enough to have my own plan, and I want to be a little more independent (I'm 19).

Thanks for all the help!

Excedio
July 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM
The plan is $60 for 450min and unlimited texting (lowest possible min and texting) and $30 data. I think there is a $35 charge for activation as well. This may sound dumb, but I have never really looked at a phone bill before: Do they tax you on your bill? What I mean is, each time you get a bill, will there be taxes on the amount your paying verizon each month?

Yes.