PDA

View Full Version : Are you tired of technology (or have you ever been tired of it) ?

cguy
July 14th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I currently am.

I almost can't stand (the thought of) working in any technology field.

Have you ever felt like this? What did you do?

RiceMonster
July 14th, 2010, 01:41 PM
If you're tired of technology, why are you on the internet right now?

cguy
July 14th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Heh, that question had to come. :)
Because I have work to do on the computer.

cespinal
July 14th, 2010, 01:46 PM
bad formulated question, sir.

you are tired of the IT industry..... but technology comprises A LOT more than that.

ubunterooster
July 14th, 2010, 01:53 PM
You can have my fingers when you pry the from my cold, dead, keyboard.

cguy
July 14th, 2010, 01:54 PM
No, no. Not the IT industry.
My work is in another field (control systems) but anything with numbers seems like a bad idea ATM :(

Dragonbite
July 14th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Just last week I took vacation time and spent the week with my Son at Cub Scout Day Camp. It felt good to be "unplugged" for a while and be outside even though it was in the 90s-100+ degrees and humid.

Yes, I usually go through slumps of not wanting to deal with technology, sometimes lasting a while.

Then I come across some project, iota, concept or something which re-sparks my interest. Sometimes it's just one of my followed distributions coming out with a new release :D ! ;)

Thankfully work emphasizes education because if I get recharged with these classes, excited to "put to work" what I've learned.

I've also seen a correlation between my slumps and periods of staying up late, not drinking enough water, not exercising and otherwise not taking as good care of myself as I should.

Shake yourself up, do something "unplugged" like go out during lunch to somewhere you usually don't like brown-bag it to the beach. Tell yourself you're going to be "unplugged" for the week (outside work that is). Clean your desk (I'm guilty of needing that right now :) ).

jkuzenka
July 14th, 2010, 02:37 PM
As Dragonbite mentioned getting unplug also helps myself break away from most of modern day technologies. I work with Computers for Work everyday, troubleshoot, program etc. for my company IT department. I also enjoy working on my computers at home with the family.

To get away I have kids with activities like Cub Scouts, Baseball etc. that get us outside and away from TV, Video Games, Computers etc. I just went to Cub Parent Weekend for Cub Scouts with my son and enjoyed fishing, archery, hiking etc.

I think Technology is great but, it is also good for people to have a balance of technology and stuff that is not technology.

Sometimes relaxing reading a book may be the answer for some of our technology overloads. Unless you do it on your IPAD or Kindle then there is no breaking way! :)

So no I am not tired of technology but, I do need the occasional break from it.

Josh

Ric_NYC
July 14th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I'm so tired of it...
I want to go back to the cave.

ubunterooster
July 14th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I'm so tired of it...
I want to go back to the cave.
Batcave? LOL

Dragonbite
July 14th, 2010, 03:26 PM
As Dragonbite mentioned getting unplug also helps myself break away from most of modern day technologies. I work with Computers for Work everyday, troubleshoot, program etc. for my company IT department. I also enjoy working on my computers at home with the family.

To get away I have kids with activities like Cub Scouts, Baseball etc. that get us outside and away from TV, Video Games, Computers etc. I just went to Cub Parent Weekend for Cub Scouts with my son and enjoyed fishing, archery, hiking etc.

I think Technology is great but, it is also good for people to have a balance of technology and stuff that is not technology.

Sometimes relaxing reading a book may be the answer for some of our technology overloads. Unless you do it on your IPAD or Kindle then there is no breaking way! :)

So no I am not tired of technology but, I do need the occasional break from it.

Josh

The Kindle isn't so bad, because it's not the eye-straining back-lit screen, it's like reading on paper.

There is a book "The 7 Habits of Happy Kids (http://www.amazon.com/7-Habits-Happy-Kids/dp/1416957766/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279116936&sr=8-1)" by Sean Covey which has one of the lessons regarding balancing life.

Their example was a character who read too much, and wasn't balanced. Same could be said if you use a computer or technology at the exclusion of all else.
Mind (reading, thinking, etc. Computers can fall under this I guess, depending on what you do with them)
Body (physical activity, eating healthy)
Soul (something artistic or spiritual)
Heart (time out with friends)

It's been a while since I've borrowed it from the library (but the kids love it) so I may have missed one.

I'll admit, I am teetering on the edge of a slump right now.

tjwoosta
July 14th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I never tire of technology itself. I love every aspect of technology, whether it be woking, playing, modifying, fixing or whatever.

I do however tire of certain pieces of technology, like for instance when something is a poorly designed, poorly implemented, or poorly fabricated piece of ****. In which case I do my best to try to make it better, and if that fails I get fed up and return it (or sometimes smash it to pieces :o)

MasterNetra
July 14th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Bad question, as even a spear is tech. Stone Age tech but tech none the less. Technology along with working together is essentially is the reason we are on top of the food chain without it we would be someplace in the middle of it. Its more likely Urban/City life that gets you drained, after all our species didn't develop in cities, we developed in the wilderness hunting and gathering.

ubunterooster
July 14th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I never tire of technology itself. I love every aspect of technology, whether it be woking, playing, modifying, fixing or whatever.

I do however tire of certain pieces of technology, like for instance when something is a poorly designed, poorly implemented, or poorly fabricated piece of ****. In which case I do my best to try to make it better, and if that fails I get fed up and return it (or sometimes smash it to pieces :o)
Same exact feelings here.

chriswyatt
July 14th, 2010, 04:56 PM
When I started doing a job where I was constantly staring at a computer screen all day when I got home the last thing I wanted to do was go on the computer, so yeah, I've got limits to how much time I want to spend on the computer, it can be draining. I used to obsessively go on the computer as a kind of addiction really, I couldn't pick up any TV in my bedroom and I didn't have many friends, also I was a teenager then and there's not much for a teenager to do in the evenings really. So I'd just kind of mess about with the computer constantly and stayed up late, ended up making myself a bit ill so I regulated my usage after that :P.

Yeah, I selected 'I've been through such a phase' because I did go through a phase of computer addiction / insomnia / anxiety / depression and did pretty much feel like I constantly had the flu at that point, it's good to change your lifestyle if it's getting you down because you can just end up getting stuck in a slump. :(

sidzen
July 14th, 2010, 05:55 PM
No, but Earth is tired of our irresponsible use of it.
We are headed for an ecological 'Titanic' when such is coupled with greed and technology outpaces our ability to use it ethically.

(On a minor, picayunish note, I personally tire of the bad usage of English that computer technology fosters.)

' Been through such a phase
Nonetheless, 'Keep the Faith!' For in the end it is what is invisible that is most important.

(I love double entendres; and English is such a deceptive language)

nubimax
July 14th, 2010, 07:04 PM
There is no way that I want to go back to using an outhouse, or having a Saturday bath in a tin tub on the kitchen floor.
M.

gnomeuser
July 14th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I've always been in Linux for the technology, when I left Fedora development it was primarily because of the abundance of anti-mono voices in deciding positions and their conduct. This left me so jaded with technology that for a long time I considered merely installing Windows or buying a Mac, returning my machines to being tools.

I have yet to regain the desire to contribute at the same level I did with Fedora. It's just not worth the effort.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
July 14th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I never get tired of technology, but I get frustrated by not understanding it. The more complex digital devices become the more frustrated I get by not knowing (or entirely trusting) them.

jkuzenka
July 15th, 2010, 09:06 PM
The Kindle isn't so bad, because it's not the eye-straining back-lit screen, it's like reading on paper.

There is a book "The 7 Habits of Happy Kids (http://www.amazon.com/7-Habits-Happy-Kids/dp/1416957766/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279116936&sr=8-1)" by Sean Covey which has one of the lessons regarding balancing life.

Their example was a character who read too much, and wasn't balanced. Same could be said if you use a computer or technology at the exclusion of all else.

Mind (reading, thinking, etc. Computers can fall under this I guess, depending on what you do with them)
Body (physical activity, eating healthy)
Soul (something artistic or spiritual)
Heart (time out with friends)
It's been a while since I've borrowed it from the library (but the kids love it) so I may have missed one.

I'll admit, I am teetering on the edge of a slump right now.

Kindle looks cool but, to costly for my wallet to own. I prefer the library or occasionally buying my books online for reading.

I will have to check out the book you recommended "The 7 Habits of Happy Kids (http://www.amazon.com/7-Habits-Happy-Kids/dp/1416957766/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279116936&sr=8-1)".

Finishing my day of working on the PC. Next week vacation at a Beach house on the beach. :)

Life is good.:D