PDA

View Full Version : mp3 player question

ice60
March 31st, 2006, 11:48 AM
hi, i want to get an mp3 player. is it a good/bad idea to get an iPod and install Linux on it? is it a risky thing to do? or should i get something else? thanks :)

FISHERMAN
March 31st, 2006, 02:24 PM
Unless you want a mini-PDA instead of a plain MP3/Music-player, I don't see any advantages about iPodLinux.
You might also consider putting Rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org/) on your Pod(Rockbox has great ogg-support:p, which is great if you don't feel like goning to 20 stores before you find a ogg-compatible-player).
In case of a Worst Case Scenario and you have to you use your warranty, Apple might be a bit reluctant because you did something you weren't supposed to do.
But (with Rockbox, don't really know about iPodLinux) you can always reformat and reinstall the original firmware, so I don't see any problems.

Brunellus
March 31st, 2006, 02:52 PM
Don't buy an ipod if you can possibly help it: you would be supporting a company that is, if anything, more of an enemy (ideologically at least) to the Free Software Movement than anyone seems to really care about.

Up to now, I would have said buy an iRiver, but since they have discontinued their good players (H300 series), my money looks like it'll go to Cowon/iAudio or Samsung.

ice60
March 31st, 2006, 07:50 PM
thanks for the help :) i just refound this page
http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/PortablePlayers

i think online shopping is the thing i'm worst at with computers :( i'm just so bad at it.

do you know if all iAUDIOs will work out-the-box with Ubuntu? i want to go into a shop and buy it so i can look at afew (i don't trust the sales people to know what they're talking about :rolleyes: ). thanks.

briancurtin
March 31st, 2006, 08:35 PM
i recommend an iPod. life is not all about "the cause" and "the movement"

buy what you like, and what works. if you like ipods, get one. if you can make it work (in linux, which you can), then get one.

Brunellus
March 31st, 2006, 08:57 PM
i recommend an iPod. life is not all about "the cause" and "the movement"

buy what you like, and what works. if you like ipods, get one. if you can make it work (in linux, which you can), then get one.
...but it really is, in this case. Free codecs support is non-trivial to me: Ogg support is important (I have about 20 GB of ogg vorbis files, and I don't much feel like reencoding/transcoding to mp3). FLAC less so, but a nice bonus.

Admittedly, I might be in the minority here.

I also want to put my hardware money where the support for my OS is.

PatrickMay16
March 31st, 2006, 08:59 PM
I have a Samsung YP-U1. It works great on Linux and supports Ogg Vorbis.

John.Michael.Kane
March 31st, 2006, 10:04 PM
Removed since the info was not needed.

ice60
March 31st, 2006, 11:01 PM
thanks for all the help everyone 8) i really only want something which works with Ubuntu, that's all i wanted to ask about. if it has a radio that would be great :)

i have a one hour train journey every day and i want to listen to podcasts i DL from the internet, mainly talk, i don't think it'll have too much music on it - something new each day. so USB 2 will be important. i'm not sure about firewire and mp3 players??, i think it's better though for data transfer.

i have more mp3s then oggs so i need something which will play both and hopefully as much as possible.

i don't use Ubuntu for political reasons, i just like computers. i don't know who owns the MP3 licenses. is it someone horrible? it certainly seems that way. but, i'll learn about that another day. i just want to listen to podcasts on the train. :)

Patrick, does your Samsung have a radio? thanks

PatrickMay16
March 31st, 2006, 11:07 PM
Patrick, does your Samsung have a radio? thanks
Unfortunately it doesn't.

It does have 1GB of storage, though, so you'd be able to store a good amount of podcasts on it.

John.Michael.Kane
March 31st, 2006, 11:15 PM
Remove since the info was not needed...

ice60
March 31st, 2006, 11:17 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't.

It does have 1GB of storage, though, so you'd be able to store a good amount of podcasts on it.
thanks, Patrick. storage isn't so important for me (but, i remember thinking i didn't need broadband a few years ago too #-o so i might change my mind about that) i'll have alook at the Samsung.

Scunizi
April 1st, 2006, 05:42 PM
No matter what you get you might run into the same problem I had with my Creative Rhomba (256m). I put several pod casts on it in windows, then plugged it in under Ubuntu and deleted the podcasts. After trying to copy another to the player I kept getting a "no space" or something like that. Ubuntu thought the player was out of room. After plugging it back into windows and looking at it with explorer I found a hidden directory Ubuntu had put on the player for trash. After deleting the directory I had plenty of room.