PDA

View Full Version : A chink in Microsoft's armor?

catlett
March 31st, 2006, 11:44 AM
This is from Slashdot's front page. Looks like a good bit of people are ripe for a change. Just thought it'd be interesting reading.

IT: Sony More Trustworthy Than Microsoft
Posted by CowboyNeal on Friday March 31, @02:47AM
from the and-nintendo-too dept.
Sony
DesertBlade writes "Forrester Research examined the trust that American households place in PC and consumer electronics. Sony, Dell and Bose all recieved a ranking of A+ while Microsoft recieved a C (I know most of you would say it is closer to a F). "Microsoft faces big consumer defection risk. One measure of consumers' dissatisfaction with Microsoft is seen in the 5.4 million households that give it a brand trust score of 1 [distrust a lot] or 2 [distrust a bit]. Compared with all Microsoft users, these at-risk users have higher income, are much more likely to be male, and are bigger online spenders.(see endnote 7) These households know they run Microsoft software but would be just as happy to leave it behind -- if they could." Does Microsoft face that big of a risk?"

blueturtl
March 31st, 2006, 12:45 PM
A brief thought on MS
I have come to think in the course of my learning that Microsoft is in fact it's own worst enemy. In the beginning I felt ok using their software because the new versions (even if they were late or less worthy than their competitor's corresponding kind) always enabled me to do more than their previous versions. After Windows 95 this trend has pretty much been reversed and MS now actively works on ways to restrict their users. It was the lack of freedom combined with mediocre to poor quality that got me to look at the alternatives in the first place. Unfortunately the mentality at the MS HQ seems to be that no people would use their products if they weren't forced to, and if the management thinks so, why would the public think any different?

htinn
March 31st, 2006, 12:49 PM
Microsoft is in serious danger of being crushed under the weight of all the hundred dollar bills they swim around in every day. ;)

If they are suffering, it's from too much unearned success.

Brunellus
March 31st, 2006, 03:14 PM
This is from Slashdot's front page. Looks like a good bit of people are ripe for a change. Just thought it'd be interesting reading.
merely becasue they're irritated with Microsoft does not mean they are ripe for a change to another operating environment. Change requires both a rejection of the old and a willingness to attempt something new. The latter is not very much in evidence.

Al3xanR0
March 31st, 2006, 06:33 PM
merely becasue they're irritated with Microsoft does not mean they are ripe for a change to another operating environment. Change requires both a rejection of the old and a willingness to attempt something new. The latter is not very much in evidence.

I concur.. That is why it is the duty of every OSS advocate to spread the word shedding light on a viable alternative especially GNU/Linux. When you are oblivious to alternatives you tend to be more tolerant under the false pretense that things will eventually improve. Microsoft has never focused on consumer satisfaction, however, consumer driven revenue goes without saying.

PatrickMay16
March 31st, 2006, 07:41 PM
Change doesn't always require both. I was very happy with Windows 2000 before I switched to Ubuntu Linux. Even though I still like Windows 2000, I don't use it so much any more; I prefer to use Ubuntu.

Unless you're talking about average consumers with computers. Then it would certainly require both.

Ya know... If anyone's wondering.

Just FYI