PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to roll back from 9.04 to 8.10 due to video issues?

ftamayobroes
July 14th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Hi,

I have been running Ubuntu 8.10 for a while and obviously didn't upgrade. Today for whatever reason that I am now regretting I decided to upgrade to 9.04 and now I can't boot.

The problem appears to be with the video driver. I am running the integrated graphics on an ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI MoBo. After a few seconds throughout the booting process, right when it is clear that the graphics are about to come up, I get this very weird screen with a very distorted image of what typically is the BIOS booting screen, which is very weird and tells me that Ubuntu changes the video on the MoBo to some strange resolution or mode that is not supported and then the system tries to reboot and freezes.

I have tried xfix with no success. I am not an advanced Ubuntu user, so any help with rolling back to 8.10 would be greatly appreciated.

I know there really isn't a roll-back procedure per se, but I read on another thread that I can re-install the old version I was running. Can you please outline the process for doing this from the command line?

Thanks a lot in advance.

FT.

TBABill
July 14th, 2010, 01:59 AM
I can't help with your posted problem of wanting to know how to roll back, but why not just download and try, via LiveCD, 10.04? Your motherboard is only a couple years old and could be enhanced by recent drivers and kernels.

snowpine
July 14th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Ubuntu 8.10 has reached its "end of life" and is no longer supported in any way. "Rolling back" to 8.10 would be a waste of your time.

I'd suggest burning Live CDs of 9.10 and 10.04 and taking them for a test drive. Once you've found a version that supports your hardware, do a fresh reinstall. (Backing up your data first of course :))

uRock
July 14th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Not sure if it helps, but my Dell listed below was built in early 2002.

To downgrade to 8.04 means to do a clean install.