PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partitioned hard drive install on Dell laptop

Murfthesurf
July 13th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I am getting ready to install Ubuntu 9.04 on my Dell laptop, only because 10.04 won't work. I have the hard drive partitioned as C: and D: . I am keeping Windows on C: for a couple of applications that need it. I still have a few things on the D: drive. Do I need to have it completely clean and formatted? And, will Ubuntu ask where I want it to be installed or will it just take the largest contiguous space available? After the install, does the system automatically ask if I want Windows or Ubuntu or how do I tell it which system to bring up? Any help is greatly appreciated. I am new at this !!!

zvacet
July 17th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I am getting ready to install Ubuntu 9.04 on my Dell laptop, only because 10.04 won't work.

It will be good if you tell what kind of problems do you have with 10.4 install.But,if you want to install something else then Lucid then go for 9.10 (Karmic),because normal Ubuntu releases have 18 months support.If you donīt need files from D drive Ubuntu will delete them during formating.Format Ubuntu partition as ext4.I think in that case you can install on largest contiguous space available or you can use manual method to install Ubuntu.