PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help requested please

Tolastun
July 13th, 2010, 08:09 PM
i have a computer i built myself and i want to get away from windows, i am looking at ubuntu 10.04 but when i try and go into it, it gets to the purple screen, the graphics go wonky and then everything stops for a good twenty minutes before i have to reboot. does anyone know whats wrong and if so, how to fix it?

using ubuntu 10.04 32 bit installation disk

2.5 gig dual core processor
4 gig ram
500 gig hard drive
Nvidia gforce 7800gt

if you need any other information please let me know and i will provide it

thank you in advance

Rubi1200
July 13th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Have a look here for some possible workarounds to help boot the LiveCD:

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/06/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-blank-screen-at-startup-workaround/

Tolastun
July 13th, 2010, 08:17 PM
thank you, will try that now

MAFoElffen
July 13th, 2010, 08:57 PM
i have a computer i built myself and i want to get away from windows, i am looking at ubuntu 10.04 but when i try and go into it, it gets to the purple screen, the graphics go wonky and then everything stops for a good twenty minutes before i have to reboot. does anyone know whats wrong and if so, how to fix it?

using ubuntu 10.04 32 bit installation disk

2.5 gig dual core processor
4 gig ram
500 gig hard drive
Nvidia gforce 7800gt

if you need any other information please let me know and i will provide it

thank you in advance
Please help me by being more specific on your hardware. For example what is the motherboard you are using, who's processor and what is it, is the memory DDRx (x=1,2 or 3), is your drive IDE or Sata, who's NVidia card is it, what network cards do you have.

Do you still have Windows Installed? (and what flavor of Windows)

1.) Sun Microsystems has a very good free utility that will look at your hardware and generate a text report of all your hardware... If you don't know. I use this utility to resolve issues of my friends computers and their various OS issues.

2.) Have you tried the test drive of Ubuntu using WUBI to see if Ubuntu will run on your hardware?

It does sound like a device driver problem. I am running Ubuntu 10.04 64bit on similar hardware to yours (with a whole lot more added). I am running a Dual Core AMD64 FX/60 with 4 MB of DDR1 PC3200 RAM, a mix of SATA and IDE hard drives, with two bridged XFX NVidia GeForce 6800GT Ultra SLI video cards...