PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] If memory under "free -m" is cached, it should be automatically freed, right?

Zorgoth
July 13th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Because I think I may have encountered a matlab bug; my script gave an "OUT OF MEMORY" error when there was 1.2 GB of memory listed as "cached" under free -m (I was having it update every 5 seconds), and that memory was still cached after the error. Is this a bug in matlab's out of memory error or does that memory count as in use?

Zorgoth
July 13th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I was running matlab using matlab-emacs in emacs in tty1, not in my X session.

trent.josephsen
July 13th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Virtual machines such as the JVM for Java often have their own limits on memory usage, not related to the memory size of the system. Among other reasons, this prevents a Java program from stealing memory from essential system processes. I'm not familiar with Matlab internals, but I'm guessing it's the same issue. You might, by searching, find a way to increase the amount of memory available to Matlab.

Zorgoth
July 13th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I think the problem is that 32-bit matlab is for whatever reason restricted to ~3GB of memory even though my system has access to more. I will probably try installing 64-bit matlab. Putting 64-bit linux on would require way too much recustomization.

Zorgoth
July 13th, 2010, 08:30 PM
that didn't make any sense, i can't install that. idiot. I'll just run it on the server.

(Note I mean myself not anyone else)