PDA

View Full Version : Threads on an other forum

proggy
July 13th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I just joined an other forum of an other distro where the OP can close his own thread if he wishes.
I think that would be rather nice if we could do that here.

rudihawk
July 13th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Nah, if people close their own threads you might get thousands of duplicate threads for the same issues.

proggy
July 13th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Nah, if people close their own threads you might get thousands of duplicate threads for the same issues.
That happens now as it is

FuturePilot
July 13th, 2010, 07:13 PM
What if the OP closes the thread after not getting an answer after a couple weeks but then someone finds a solution to the problem after a few months? Now that person can't post the solution and no one benefits.

Phrea
July 13th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I agree with above posters: it's a bad idea.

chriswyatt
July 13th, 2010, 07:45 PM
In my opinion I think threads get closed too often as it is. I find it annoying when I want to reply to some thread and I find it's closed.

I'd kind of prefer it if threads just got temporarily barred instead of closed, if things got out of hand for example. Or maybe if flame wars just got moved to their own thread so that they can burn out on their own.

McRat
July 13th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I think the "SOLVED" tag is a good middle grounds.

You can always PM a moderator and request a thread be closed, and let them make the call.

forrestcupp
July 13th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I think the "SOLVED" tag is a good middle grounds.

You can always PM a moderator and request a thread be closed, and let them make the call.

I agree. The mods are usually pretty helpful when someone asks for their thread to be closed.

proggy
July 13th, 2010, 08:57 PM
OK i guess you`ve all convinced me that it`s a bad idea I think this thread can be closed now please

RiceMonster
July 13th, 2010, 09:00 PM
OK i guess you`ve all convinced me that it`s a bad idea I think this thread can be closed now please

But if we had that feature, you could close this thread yourself! XD

proggy
July 13th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I know ;)

overdrank
July 13th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Hey who closed the thread :shock:

FuturePilot
July 13th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Hey who closed the thread :shock:

Looks open to me. :D

cariboo
July 13th, 2010, 09:39 PM
But then if the op closed the thread, we'd get complaints from people wanting to add a comment to the thread. :)

proggy
July 13th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Have thread closings ever bought complaints before?:rolleyes:

KiwiNZ
July 13th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Not a feature we will be adding for the foreseeable future.

proggy
July 13th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Thank you

irv
July 14th, 2010, 12:07 AM
I guess I have mixed feeling on this. I know I have some old thread out here like http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=229338 that is a dead thread that is still open. It deals with a old pc and old version that is not much use to anyone any more and I wish it could just disappear but it may well out live me. And at the same time it might just help someone who might have the same problem I had. So I guess it is a 50/50 thing.

proggy
July 14th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Nice video,Irv

cariboo
July 14th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Unless it was justed moved there, your thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=229338) is in the archive section, and you can't add anything to it anyhow.

irv
July 14th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Nice video,Irv

I just updated my video to a new one this morning because I changed my desktop.
http://wabasha-server.net/Downloads/MyLaptop02.ogv

forrestcupp
July 15th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I guess I have mixed feeling on this. I know I have some old thread out here like http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=229338 that is a dead thread that is still open. It deals with a old pc and old version that is not much use to anyone any more and I wish it could just disappear but it may well out live me. And at the same time it might just help someone who might have the same problem I had. So I guess it is a 50/50 thing.

Yeah, but a closed thread isn't really much different from a dead thread. People can still find closed threads and get help from them.

I think some people mix up the idea of a closed thread with the idea of a jailed thread, which can't be found anymore.

ticopelp
July 15th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I think you should be able to permaban yourself. And there should be a single-click "permaban me" button right next to the "submit reply" button and there's no confirmation or option to undo.

forrestcupp
July 15th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I think you should be able to permaban yourself. And there should be a single-click "permaban me" button right next to the "submit reply" button and there's no confirmation or option to undo.

ha, ha. Great idea!