PDA

View Full Version : Recursive javadoc?

fiddler616
July 13th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Hello,

I have a directory full of directories full of directories of Java files, and I was wondering how to generate the javadoc for all of them at once. Thanks in advance.

PaulM1985
July 13th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I think Netbeans has support for this. You could import all of you files into Netbeans and use the utility in there. (Not sure about recursive importing of files tho :confused: )

Paul

fiddler616
July 13th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I think Netbeans has support for this. You could import all of you files into Netbeans and use the utility in there. (Not sure about recursive importing of files tho :confused: )

Paul

I guess that's a good Plan B, but I'd like to avoid installing and using Netbeans if I don't have to.

All I mean by "recursive" is that it will act in all subdirectories of a parent directory. In the folder src, there are are a bunch of folders: visualizer, UIcomponents, etc. In each of those folders, there are a bunch of Java files. I can't run "javadoc -private src", because it will look for Java files in src, and won't find them. Instead it'll just find two folders.

Hopefully that cleared things up :P

PaulM1985
July 13th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I don't know anything about bash, but after a little bit of googling...

Maybe a script like this would work:

javadoc -private `find -name *java`

Paul

CptPicard
July 13th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Well, those directories are Java packages of course (you've worked with them right, real basic stuff?)...

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17476_01/javase/1.4.2/docs/tooldocs/windows/javadoc.html#processingofsourcefiles

And lots of stuff at Google from "using javadoc".

Reiger
July 14th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Well if you have Ant the easiest thing to do is create (or update) a little ant script to contain a “target” for building Javadoc. It's fairly straightforward:

<target name="javadoc" description="Build Javadoc from Java source files">
<javadoc destdir="build/javadoc/">
<fileset includes="**/.java" dir="src"/>
</javadoc>
</target>
It just needs some more configuration attributes on the javadoc tag to make it work nicely, for which see the Ant documentation/manuals.