PDA

View Full Version : Man claims 85% of all FaceBook profits

Nano Geek
July 13th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Does Mark Zuckerberg really own Facebook? That's the question raised in a lawsuit filed in a New York court by Paul D. Ceglia, who claims to have bankrolled the original Facebook site for $1000.

In the complaint filed at the Supreme Court of Allegany County in New York, Ceglia paid Zuckerberg $1000 in 2003 to build a website called TheFacebook. In return for the money, the complaint alleges, Zuckerberg agreed to give Ceglia a 50 percent interest in TheFacebook, plus one percent of the company for every day past January 1, 2004 that the website remained unfinished. The site was finished on February 4, 2004. "According to the terms of the contract, as of February 4th 2004, [Ceglia] had acquired an additional 34 percent interest in the business for a total of eighty four percent (84%)," the complaint contends.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/200979/Facebook_Bought_For_1000_Lawsuit_Claims_85_Percent _Ownership.html?tk=rss_news

Sporkman
July 13th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Wow, that's big. Unfortunately:

However, a legal expert quoted in the Wall Street Journal opined that the lawsuit may get derailed by the statute of limitations on such cases in New York state.

Ceglia should have spoken up sooner. Looks like Zuckerberg may have really screwed Ceglia...

samalex
July 13th, 2010, 05:36 PM
From the WSJ article it sounds Ceglia is just a shyster looking to make some quick cash. Yeah he and Zuckerberg may have made an agreement in 2003 to make a website, and though Facebook may be a rehash of that, I wouldn't think such a simple agreement makes Ceglia an automatic majority owner of Facebook, which he had no involvement in creating, just because Zuckerberg signed whatever.

Besides, wouldn't Zuckerberg have been like 10 in 2003 (yes being sarcastic).

Sam

betrunkenaffe
July 13th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Zuckerberg is just as much a rip off artist as Cegalia is, may the best thief win.

rudihawk
July 13th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Fight fight!

DrMelon
July 13th, 2010, 07:08 PM
just because Zuckerberg signed whatever.

Be careful what you sign if you have this attitude towards legal agreements :P

MaxIBoy
July 13th, 2010, 11:33 PM
This is like the SCO case, except in this case I hope the litigator wins... Facebook can go down in flames for all I care, it's a waste of the tubes.

Merk42
July 14th, 2010, 12:09 AM
This is like the SCO case, except in this case I hope the litigator wins... Facebook can go down in flames for all I care, it's a waste of the tubes.

I don't think Facebook would go anywhere, just have a new owner

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 14th, 2010, 01:30 AM
If it looks like it is really going to go to court and there really is something relevant in the contract, I could imagine Zuckerberg paying Ceglia a few $million to settle out of court. :D