PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Graphics on 10.04 (Radeon HD 2400)

redjam
July 13th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Hi all,

Just upgraded to 10.04. As usual after an Ubuntu upgrade, my graphics are a complete mess. In the past I have always been able to fix the problem by downloading and installing the latest drivers from AMD. I have done the same this time but still no joy. No 3D visual effects and everything is very slow (esp. scrolling in Firefox).

Any advice on how to fix it this time? Or is my graphics card obsolete? If so, any suggestions about what to get as a replacement?

Cheers.

Mark Phelps
July 13th, 2010, 06:50 PM
My guess is that your card is obsolete -- what ATI calls "legacy".

Their current drivers will work with the newer HD 3x/4x/5x cards, but it's dicey regarding the 2x series. Some work; some don't.

Looks like yours may be one of those that don't.

redjam
July 14th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I suspect you might be right :(

Classifying it as legacy is a bit of a cheek though. Anyway, if I do fork out for a new one, what should I get? I mean, are there actually any cards that are consistently reliable with Ubuntu?

Thanks.

Mark Phelps
July 14th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I suspect you might be right :(

Classifying it as legacy is a bit of a cheek though. Anyway, if I do fork out for a new one, what should I get? I mean, are there actually any cards that are consistently reliable with Ubuntu?

Thanks.

Given the frequency of posts we're seeing with people having serious problems with the newer ATI cards, even though I'm a long fan of ATI, I would advice AGAINST going with ATI.

For more detailed info, you should visit the Phoronix forums. They do a LOT of testing with the newer ATI cards. That will give you a chance to see what problems others are having.