PDA

View Full Version : MS integrates Facebook into Outlook...

Sporkman
July 13th, 2010, 02:30 PM
In four years, social networking services will replace e-mail for about 20 percent of business users says Gartner. If that’s true than Microsoft’s (MSFT) integration of Facebook into its Outlook e-mail client today will prove particularly prescient.

The software giant today delivered an update to Outlook’s Social Connector that adds Facebook integration to the in-box, enhancing it with pictures, status updates and wall posts from Facebook friends. Delivered in real-time, this information will add an even broader social context to e-mail communication in Outlook, which can already be configured to synchronize with MySpace and LinkedIn...

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20100713/microsoft-adds-facebook-integration-to-outlook/?reflink=ATD_yahoo_ticker

madnessjack
July 13th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Looks nice but folks use Outlook for work. People use Facebook for personal use and trends to use webmail for personal use also, so from my perspective it's a weird mix.

Dragonbite
July 13th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Another sign that Facebook has reached its peak, and is starting it's descent from the mountaintop.

kevin11951
July 13th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Wasn't that Ubuntu 10.04's big thing? That you could use Face-book and Twitter directly from the desktop?

Of course when Microsoft does it, everyone is like "Oh, who wants that in a business?"

With that said... Let me be clear... Microsoft business practices are amoral...

Dragonbite
July 13th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Wasn't that Ubuntu 10.04's big thing? That you could use Face-book and Twitter directly from the desktop?

Of course when Microsoft does it, everyone is like "Oh, who wants that in a business?"

With that said... Let me be clear... Microsoft business practices are amoral...

Maybe, but Ubuntu is more focused on the desktop and thus consumers at home (while they are trying to get into enterprises more), while Microsoft Outlook is a common business application.

Microsoft adding Facebook and the like to their Live offering, that makes sense since not many companies need the video editor, photo manager, IM, etc. Those are "home" type use applications.

I would rather not think about what my boss would do if I installed a social-network add-on for my work Outlook.

Sporkman
July 13th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I would rather not think about what my boss would do if I installed a social-network add-on for my work Outlook.

Show him this article:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/270390

Royle Lindsey
July 14th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Hi..
Microsoft Outlook now allows users to integrate their Facebook accounts and view contacts' photos, news feeds and status updates with an add-on to Social Connector.

Legendary_Bibo
July 14th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I prefer how Gwibber looks...bubbles...nuff said :D

Dragonbite
July 14th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Show him this article:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/270390

Nice article, but I don't see it flying with her. Plus, I'm lousy keeping surfing down to a minimum!

Johnsie
July 14th, 2010, 02:08 PM
All I know is that Outlook looks a million times better than Evolution and works much better as a client to Exchange Server. I wouldn't want to use facebook for my internal work emails though.