PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] DockbarX equivalent for KDE?

x-shaney-x
July 13th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I am playing around with KDE and looking to possibly switch from Gnome but one thing I REALLY miss is DockbarX.

Smoothtasks does half the job but I want a simple, combined launcher and taskbar for the panel and to my knowledge, smoothtasks doesn't support pinning apps.

I could use a dock, something like AWN but I find they are all way more than I need and I would rather have something that fits in the panel.

scott1541
July 13th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Cairo-dock maybe? I don't know if it would work on KDE or not as I'm using Gnome/Ubuntu

lexxonnet
July 13th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Have a look at Daisy (http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Daisy?content=102077) and Fancytasks (http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Fancy+Tasks?content=99737). I think FancyTasks should do what you have in mind.

x-shaney-x
July 13th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.
Unfortunately, fancy tasks was a bit funny looking, icons too small for the panel (even with parabolic turned off) and I coudn't turn off reflections which I don't want and which look stupid on a standard panel.

Daisy seemed more promising but it kept jumping in and out of the panel at will and no matter what size I set the icons, it messed up everything else on the panel..

KDE seems like Windows 7 in so many ways I thought they would have also emulated the wonderbra, or whatever it's called
(which also does pretty much exactly what I'm wanting.

Ho-hum :(

M7S
July 13th, 2010, 10:51 PM
You could remove the panel completely and use AWN in panel mode, unless there is some kde panel applet (or whatever they are called) you can't live without. That way you can keep using dockbarx since it can be installed as an awn panel applet.

x-shaney-x
July 13th, 2010, 11:43 PM
You could remove the panel completely and use AWN in panel mode, unless there is some kde panel applet (or whatever they are called) you can't live without. That way you can keep using dockbarx since it can be installed as an awn panel applet.

I wasn't aware I could use dockbar with AWN. If that is the case, problem solved :)
How would I go about adding it?

lexxonnet
July 14th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.
Unfortunately, fancy tasks was a bit funny looking, icons too small for the panel (even with parabolic turned off) and I coudn't turn off reflections which I don't want and which look stupid on a standard panel.

Daisy seemed more promising but it kept jumping in and out of the panel at will and no matter what size I set the icons, it messed up everything else on the panel..

KDE seems like Windows 7 in so many ways I thought they would have also emulated the wonderbra, or whatever it's called

I believe you can remove the panel altogether and then just right-click on the desktop and hit "Add Panel" -> "Fancy Panel", which should give you a dock on its own, which you can move and resize.

x-shaney-x
July 14th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I believe you can remove the panel altogether and then just right-click on the desktop and hit "Add Panel" -> "Fancy Panel", which should give you a dock on its own, which you can move and resize.

Even in dock mode, it seems to have a life of it's own :o

AceRoom
July 14th, 2010, 08:15 AM

I thought so too at first but the similarities are only to the point of a single taskbar and similar notification area.

The whole idea of the desktop activities is brilliant IMO. There's this one Search Desktop activity. Check that out. Other than that, you have the regular one. I didn't like it in the beginning but then I added a couple of different folder views at the same time. Very productive as opposed to having a single desktop folder.

M7S
July 14th, 2010, 06:47 PM
From DockbarX readme:

AWN 0.4

To install dockbarx as an AWN 0.4 applet, you should first do an normal install and then copy the content of the AWN folder to ~/.config/awn/applets.

Preference dialog: AWN gives you no handle so you can't access preference dialog by right clicking and choosing preference. You can access dockbarx preference window from your gnome menu (Accessories->Dockbarx Preference). If you like you can also pin it to dockbarx.
The AWN folder mentioned is the one you get when you download dockbarx from here: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=101604

If you have already installed dockbarx from the ppa, simply copy the content of the AWN folder to ~/.config/awn/applets

x-shaney-x
July 14th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Nice one, thanks :)