PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DL380 (G1) Install

Kherasu
July 13th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Hi, everyone;
I bought an old Compaq DL380, 1st Generation, from a friend a couple years ago, but replaced the disks and, on advice from the manual, reset the machine's config settings. I've been trying desperately to get it configured and working for the last week or so. So far, I've run into some problems, but first some specs:

Memory: 768 MB
Processor: 2x 1.0GHz
HDD: 4x 9.1GB SCSI disks (and a 500GB IDE disk for storage, but that's not really relevant)
ODD: Cheap little slimline CD-ROM that came with the box.

Anyway, I've run into the following problem: Any time I try to install ubuntu-- be it server, alternate, live, and any version from Hardy up through Karmic, the installation gets as far as 'copying installation files' and then hangs dead on 'binutils-static-udeb'

To address this, I've tried a number of boot options in pretty much all of the installers; pci=noacpi, dma=on, dma=off, a couple different hdparm commands... In short, I'm at my wits' end. Please, please, help.

Edit: I should also point out that I've tried installing both from the included drive and from a spare ODD I had lying around the parts cabinet. Thanks in advance.

Further Edit: Until now, I actually had NOT tried the newest Desktop CD, just the newest Server and Alt discs. The newest Desktop CD hangs at the five scrolling dots beneath an ubuntu logo.

Kherasu
July 20th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Desperation bump and update
The DL380 is still being ludicrously obstinate, and I'm staring into the face of required uptime... If anyone can help, PLEASE.

rory838
August 23rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
Have you checked for faulty RAM?