PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu on Dell 2600 Laptop notworking

dfwjoshua
July 13th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I am trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 On my Laptop and it is not working I think it has something to do with the graphics.

When I reboot my computer with the CD or Dual Boot (from using Windows Installer) the screen looks very faded,flashy or just not showing up like the quality of its regular Windows Start Up. It also won't show very much just a real messed up screen with blotchy images and very flash almost like when you push down a Game Boy or a Laptop Screen.

My Model is a Inspiron model 2600
it has a 1.13GHz with 512 Mb of RAM

dfwjoshua
July 13th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Also I might add showing up a blank screen sometimes. I really want to install this on the Old Laptop so I can hand it down to my Little Brother.

xtian88
July 13th, 2010, 10:13 AM
When does the blotchy images appear exactly?
Right after seeing the Dell logo?

dfwjoshua
July 13th, 2010, 06:18 PM
When does the blotchy images appear exactly?
Right after seeing the Dell logo?
Yep, the screen looks dysfunctional like vertical lines,pix-elated, After the initial boot phase, the monitor displayes a screen of verticle lines of varying colors and widths. The system still performs normally when booting windowshttp://konac.kontera.com/javascript/lib/imgs/grey_loader.gif
(http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/#).

I think it may have something to do with the graphics, and I've heard of something called Safe Video or something which will help it install is this true? and if so how do I do it?

wireonfire
July 14th, 2010, 03:11 AM
You can do an install without gui. Then you can install or fix the graphics issue from command line.

dfwjoshua
July 14th, 2010, 04:06 AM
You can do an install without gui. Then you can install or fix the graphics issue from command line.
How do I do that and what do I need to put in the command line. I'm a total beginner and this my first time ever hearing about Ubuntu.

wireonfire
July 14th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I dont remember the detailed steps now. Do a little digging yourself and you should be able to find the info on how to install ubuntu without gui easily. Then go from there. As a newbie, you have to put in the work in order to learn quickly.