PDA

View Full Version : Crappy phone manufacturers

LeifAndersen
July 13th, 2010, 04:08 AM
So, the horrid two year contract that I've been in with Verizon has recently ended. Which means that I'm in the market for a new phone. The things that are important to me are:

1. The device is Linux (or at least something open source) I was looking for an adnroid device, but I would also be happy with something more open
2. The device is on verizon (not a must, but I don't have to pay as much for it, otherwise I'd probably on TMobile right now)
3. The device has a good hacker community behind it

Well...I was looking at the Droid X. Until I read this: http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-xtreme/3330-how-droid-x-locked-down-let-me-tell-you-what-i-know.html

I think that's horrible. And even if I wasn't planning on loading my own ROM's in the first place, I do not want to buy a device that is about to brick itself the moment you load another OS on it, and I don't want to support a company doing it.

So, what do you think of companies locking down phones like they are now? Just imagine if the computers you bought had the same restrictions!?! (Also, if you know of any good replacement phone, I would also be happy. ;) ).

3rdalbum
July 13th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Don't buy a phone from a carrier. It'll be network-locked and probably won't accept new firmware. Buy your phone unlocked from Ebay or some other online retailer, then get a SIM card from your carrier.

redfox1160
July 13th, 2010, 06:35 AM
My one friend has a Nokia N900 (I think) and it runs Maemeo Linux. It costs $480 to get it in the US, which is pretty expensive.

Mine's Ultimate R
July 13th, 2010, 07:01 AM
The N900 is an awesome linux device with a phone app. I own one and I am pleasantly surprised. I bought mine for 460 at newegg, but now it's 450 at newegg and i think 420 on amazon. Someone at maemo.org is selling a used one for 260 which is such a steal!

However, this phone can not be used on verizon (or page plus) as it is gsm. Also, it may not be a good idea to get one now as the hardware is outdated (can overclock to 1ghz easily though) and the Nokia N9 will be coming out in a few months with Meego OS. Not to mention horrible support from Nokia. If you didn't need to get verizon service then that would open up your options for phones considerably. For instance, with t-mobile there's a prepaid unlimited text plan for 15 bucks a month or you can get unlim data for 30 or 40 bucks a month and text using google voice or something over the 3g network.

For anyone else reading this thread, the n900 is a really powerful device and is very close to being able to dual boot backtrack, ubuntu, and it can already boot android froyo. I also enjoy using the n900 as a remote for my TV :D

edit: there is an abundance of emulators for n900 http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32135

sudoer541
July 13th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Go With the Blackberry Bold 9700 on the T-Mobile network.
The BB 9700 is:

Open source
I believe its hackable (since its open source)
The T-Mobile version of the Blackberry 9700 is a UTMS Band 4 (AWS 1700MHz) So I am not sure if it will be compatible with Verizon, AT&T or other cell providers.
If you buy the phone without contract it should be about $500 and its worth it cuz the phone has WIFI and an app store.
Ive heard the battery life is good too!!!

I would also go with the Nokia Nuron (5230) On T-Mobile.
The Nuron is a touch screen phone and yes its open source (Symbian S60)
Its hackable
Its compatible with AT&T (for sure!!!)
It has an app store too!!!

Best of luck!!!!:D:p

Ozor Mox
July 13th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Don't buy a phone from a carrier. It'll be network-locked and probably won't accept new firmware. Buy your phone unlocked from Ebay or some other online retailer, then get a SIM card from your carrier.

This. I'd strongly recommend an Android phone. I bought mine unlocked.

sudoer541, neither BlackBerry OS nor Symbian S60 are open source. Maemo is the "most" open source phone OS out there at the moment, followed by Android.

sudoer541
July 13th, 2010, 05:10 PM

EEww no!!! ebay phones dont even work as advertised, plus they are dirty!!!
He can buy it from independent retailers or from his provider.
I think his provider will give him his unlock code after 3 months of service for free.
Not sure how the rules are south pf the border but here in Canada your provider will unlock the phone after three months of continuous service.
Plus here in Canada, in couple of months from now cell providers will be forced to sell unlocked phones....yay!!!!:D:p

LeifAndersen
July 13th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Wow..thanks for the input everyone.

This. I'd strongly recommend an Android phone. I bought mine unlocked.

sudoer541, neither BlackBerry OS nor Symbian S60 are open source. Maemo is the "most" open source phone OS out there at the moment, followed by Android.

I'm inclined to agree there. Although Android is only semi-open source...it does have enough of a hacker community to make me happy. :) Also, I do need to eventually buy a device for testing the few free apps I put on the marketplace... (the emulator just doesn't cut it. ;) ). Also, I thought that Symbian was opening up recently...maybe it's only a particular version of it though.

Well...I don't want to buy on from ebay, ;) but I'll keep that in mind.

My one friend has a Nokia N900 (I think) and it runs Maemeo Linux. It costs $480 to get it in the US, which is pretty expensive.

I was looking at the n900, but I'm a bit late, and the hardware seems old now...but that may just be do to android having crappy software leading to needed more powerful hardware to make up for it. (I wouldn't know)

EEww no!!! ebay phones dont even work as advertised, plus they are dirty!!!
He can buy it from independent retailers or from his provider.
I think his provider will give him his unlock code after 3 months of service for free.
Not sure how the rules are south pf the border but here in Canada your provider will unlock the phone after three months of continuous service.
Plus here in Canada, in couple of months from now cell providers will be forced to sell unlocked phones....yay!!!!

I don't live in canada. :(

--

I have been thinking...I don't really need a voice plan (the average amount I talk on my current cell phone is ~20 min/month), I just need data (preferably not just 5 GB), and an MID to go with it... (I don't mind using SIP or something like it, and an awkward tablet like device for the 20 min/month I would actually use it as a phone. ;) ), So I guess I could potentially go to TMobile...as they seem to sell $40/month for unlimited bandwidth. Although Verizon Charges $30/month for their bandwidth (I don't need to pay for voice), and the Droid Phones didn't seem to have a 5 GB limit (unlike the other options), so I was going to go with that... (although I'm much more happy to shell out the extra $10/month if TMobile doesn't prevent tethering in it's TOS).

Thank you all.

--

I still think it's very annoying that manufactures do this. Again, if a computer came this locked down, everyone would be infuriated...

Excedio
July 13th, 2010, 08:28 PM

If he want's Verizon, don't count on this. They don't use SIM cards.

HTC Incredible by the way. :-D

gnomeuser
July 13th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I see people endorsing the N900, now clearly these people are delusional. It is a terrible phone, it's constructed without thought, it's software is both unstable and poorly maintained. The battery life is best described as non-existent.

It is much more open than most Android devices, rooting it is a built-in documented feature e.g. but they still keep secrets with regards to the hardware and certain functionality.

Owning an N900 is akin to paying Nokia to be an ignored member of the public alpha for a defunct project even it's makers couldn't care less about.

LeifAndersen
July 14th, 2010, 01:58 AM
If he want's Verizon, don't count on this. They don't use SIM cards.

HTC Incredible by the way.

True...although I may use TMobile's data package without their voice and sms packages (assuming I can actually tether)...I would much rather have a mobile internet device than a phone.

I see people endorsing the N900, now clearly these people are delusional. It is a terrible phone...

Hmm...thank you. Most people I've seen (from communities such as this) have loved their n900's, it's great to see another view.

Mine's Ultimate R
July 16th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I see people endorsing the N900, now clearly these people are delusional. It is a terrible phone, it's constructed without thought, it's software is both unstable and poorly maintained. The battery life is best described as non-existent.

It is much more open than most Android devices, rooting it is a built-in documented feature e.g. but they still keep secrets with regards to the hardware and certain functionality.

Owning an N900 is akin to paying Nokia to be an ignored member of the public alpha for a defunct project even it's makers couldn't care less about.

Hey gnomeuser...your post frustrates me. do you own or have you owned the n900? You seem to want to start some kind of argument by calling me delusional? Also, it would be excellent if you could provide some details as to what is wrong with the phone, the software, and maintenance? Simply saying that there's something wrong without giving proper evidence doesn't help anyone. I'll help you out here and explain.

The phone: I have no problems with it. The reception is very crisp and it doesn't drop calls and I can hold it in whatever position I desire. However, for people like me who use less than 30 min/month like me, it works just fine.

Software: You claim the software to be unstable? Do you mean before or after you install apps from the "in development" portion of maemo apps? The software straight from the factory could run forever without crashing. The only crash (reboot) I've had is when I overclocked it and tried to run too little voltage...

Support: Yes, Nokia support is minimal/non-existent. I actually bought the device KNOWING this. I rely on the community which is very active, friendly, and somewhat like these forums. Unsurprisingly, there are some extremely intelligent people in the community.

Battery: This is the only point in which I agree with the above poster and this is by far the most negative point of the phone for me. I get about 3 days of use before needing to charge again, but the community is continuously thinking of ways to improve battery life. The heaviest users only get 6 hours and I think this is ridiculous. But with overclocking (actually improves battery life) and something called smartreflex the battery life can be greatly improved. People need to keep in mind that this is actually a computer, if you want a phone buy an iPhone.

The N900 does have it's problems and I would be happy to tell about them, but many of the people who complain about the phone should never have gotten one in the first place. They should've done their research first. For those who want an internet tablet first and phone second, this is their device. It is truly for geeks and one person on the maemo forums described it best:

Originally Posted by johnel View Post

"WARNING!
This device may require basic intelligence, imagination and an IQ above double digits.

Failure to meet these requirements will hamper operation of device.

You may also suffer the following side-effects:
Nausea, loss of rational thought, increasing urges to rant about negative aspects of device and form ignorant opinions of a technical nature.

If symptoms persist seek immediate professional psychiatric help, sell n900 and buy device more monkey friendly"

MCVenom
July 16th, 2010, 02:03 AM
The Droid X eFuse thing was shown to be just wild hype; It's simply part of the CPU, Motorola's never actually used it. The encrypted bootloader thing is true though, which sucks.

I'd recommend the Droid Incredible. It's rootable and has the same specs as the X, just minus the really big screen. :D