PDA

View Full Version : What do your friends/family think of Ubuntu?

Cam!
July 13th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Curious question. What do your friends and family think of Ubuntu, or Linux as a whole?

My friends used to think that Linux was some sort of archaic, unnecessary OS that didn't even have a GUI (Command line only). After explaining Ubuntu to them, as well as showing screenshot(s) of my desktop, their minds changed. They still prefer Windows/Mac OS, because of iTunes and Steam. XD.

My family, on the other hand, is weary of it. I installed it on my brother's computer, and he dislikes it a LOT.

WinterRain
July 13th, 2010, 03:08 AM
If anyone I know is even aware of ubuntu, they are probably using it. Once you know, you ubuntu.

BrokenKingpin
July 13th, 2010, 03:10 AM
I am a computer programmer where half my company uses Ubuntu. I also got my wife's dad using it, and he loves it.

tjwoosta
July 13th, 2010, 03:23 AM
I had ubuntu on both my parents and my sisters computers back around ubuntu 6.04. They didnt really care one way or the other so long as they could do standard tasks (browse web, check email, word processing, etc..). Obviously theyre not very picky about which apps they use and have no need for itunes or steam.

Over time ubuntu became too heavy to run on 256mb ram, so I had to switch over to debian stable. Theyve been using debian stable with xfce for a couple years now and have never complained. Actually they said they love it because it never crashes or freezes up like XP used to. I always do all their updates and installing software and stuff for them over ssh though, Im not sure theyd be able to handle it themselves.

Ive noticed recently however that even debian stable is starting to become a bit too heavy to run comfortably on 256mb so its probably about time for a hardware upgrade to keep up with the software.

Timmer1240
July 13th, 2010, 03:24 AM
I use ubuntu my wife uses windows 7 shes not interested and Im not gonna force it on her.Shes comfortable with windows until she doesnt know how to do something with it or something is wrong thats where I come in!Ubuntu is a great OS but I let people do their own thing if their interested I show em but most think its hard for some reason.Its just different is all I really like the gnome GUI over how windows is just seems more logical to me.I have one friend who wanted me to install it but maybe if his win xp goes down again I will for him probably duel boot so he doesnt lose the comfort of windows.I just decided on my own and installed it and played around with it until I knew my way around the OS.I think most people who use it have to discover it all on their own.Sometimes Ill post do you Ubuntu and nobody even knows what Ubuntu is so its not well known it would be great for companys to start selling Pcs and notebooks with Ubuntu preinstalled get it out there more and more people would except it.

Timmer1240
July 13th, 2010, 03:29 AM
if anyone i know is even aware of ubuntu, they are probably using it. Once you know, you ubuntu.

so true!

jflaker
July 13th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Most feel that FOSS of any type is full of bugs. BUT, I get the deer in the headlights look when I explain how buggy windows is and if they like having to reload frequently or buy extra software just to keep hackers and malware/virii away.....

I also ask them about reporting bugs, which most do through the reporting tools....then I explain that "After you have helped improve the operating system and/or application which you spent your hard earned money on, by reporting those bugs, you get the privilege of buying the next version of that software/OS with all the bug fixes implemented to the tune of a few hundred $$$ per package and OS.......with Ubuntu, you get the privilege of just downloading it for free through an semi-automated process...Just click.

Even THAT explanation gets the deer in the headlights look and they explain they like buying software......:confused::confused:

Frogs Hair
July 13th, 2010, 03:40 AM
My father asks how " Linus " is doing and he is using some open source programs on windows . Four people I know are using Wubi installs because they saw mine when I first tried Ubuntu , but only as a play thing at the moment . My brother is a Mac user and supports my interest in Linux.

Little Bones
July 13th, 2010, 04:02 AM
My dad started me on Ubuntu, and after showing my girlfriend the slick effects compiz provides and the stability she was sold and had me install it on her computer. A few of my other friends know about it and have used my laptop but have not switched or anything.

Groucho Marxist
July 13th, 2010, 04:09 AM
My mother frankly felt that Linux was cumbersome and confusing; that was ten years ago. Since then, I have adopted Ubuntu as my main operating system and have not experienced the sheer bulls#!t that she's had to endure using Windows 7. As such, she's more receptive to eventually switching from Windows to Linux in the coming years.

redfox1160
July 13th, 2010, 04:44 AM
My parents and sister barely understand computers (my sister knows a little more, but none of them really understand folders, and folder hierarchy...). When I try to explain Ubuntu (or Linux in general) they don't understand. My brother understands what it is, but he would rather use windows or mac. He actually said that he would use any mac product that used the different swipe controls (on the touchpad) rather than a mouse; and because of those controls, he said that he would rather use a macbook over any other computer... but he doesn't dislike ubuntu or linux he just prefers macs. Most of my friends don't understand what it is but they don't like or dislike it. My one friend actually thought he had linux on his computer, and he was running windows...

I'm going to school for IT, and most kids there don't prefer linux. There are some but most prefer windows or mac (except one kid who uses Mandriva. He also likes OS/2). There is a group I am part of that refurbishes computers for needy organizations. We install ubuntu on all of those computers, and everyone there uses linux.

I haven't really had a full time job yet (I have a co-op from fall to winter). In all of the job interviews I have been on, when I mentioned that I had an interest in linux, the interviewer usually said that they don't like linux or that they are getting rid of the linux boxes they currently have (except the one position I applied for, Assistant Linux System Administrator).

Overall, most people I know don't like it, or don't really know about it.

GregBrannon
July 13th, 2010, 06:00 AM
I use ubuntu my wife uses windows 7 she's not interested and I'm not gonna force it on her. . . I let people do their own thing . . .

+1. And my wife considers Linux an experimental, hobbyist OS. I'm sure she feels that Windows 7 is the greatest OS ever and that I'll either come to my senses someday and switch over to it or that I'll have to to do REAL work.

Khakilang
July 13th, 2010, 06:04 AM
My daughter like it. My brother use it once and go back to Window. Some of my tech friend want to try it as an alternative. But they will fall back to Window because of the games.

jflaker
July 14th, 2010, 02:36 AM
I forgot to mention:
My neice's laptop was completely hosed, it "worked" after 30 minutes of booting up. She lost the OEM install disks so reloading it was not even an option.

I popped in the LiveCD and the system, compared to what she was used to was really snappy....So after finding out she had nothing on the computer she needed to save, I installed 9.04 and the systems was even snappier!

She WILL NOT, except for a few apps which run in VirtualBox XP, go back to windows.

Ubuntu saved her from spending $600-800 on a new machine.

Redo
July 14th, 2010, 03:26 AM
My aunt LOVES it. Their XP install was an endless source of malware. I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on her computer a few years back and she never wants Windows on her machine again. I'm going over there to install 10.04 tomorrow, 10.04 is so nice!

My uncle makes fun of her for having it on her machine. But when it works, it works.

Timmer1240
July 14th, 2010, 05:46 AM
My aunt LOVES it. Their XP install was an endless source of malware. I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on her computer a few years back and she never wants Windows on her machine again. I'm going over there to install 10.04 tomorrow, 10.04 is so nice!

My uncle makes fun of her for having it on her machine. But when it works, it works.

I wouldnt make fun I would be proud of it!I feel like I got something better with linux and its free!but thats just MY opinion so it doesnt count for much!

TriBlox6432
July 14th, 2010, 05:53 AM
My mom hates it and I don't know why. She's never given it a chance, but she obviously hates it with a burning passion. Though, one time I asked her a question and she told me to "go look it up on your google or ubuntu or something" xD