PDA

View Full Version : media players

cloyd
July 13th, 2010, 02:18 AM
When I first tried Linux, I tried rhythmbox. I have never like to have my player categorize my medial for me, nor have I used play lists nor wanted downloads of album covers or lyrics. All I wanted to do was play my mp3's, some of which were ripped from my cd's, identified by the folder name, and individual file names as useful as "track 01" and so on. I never used play lists, just wanted to load my folder into the player. Thus, I didn't care much for rhythmbox; it just did too much. I have played audio in movie player, and in VLC.

Thus far, I have noticed that VLC just doesn't use that much cpu when I'm watching videos, so I really like it for that. I wish I knew how to get youtube to use VLC instead of flash. As it is, I've found that the best way for me to view a long video (longer than 5 minutes) is to start it, pause it, and do something else, then when it is completely downloaded to my tmp directory, copy it to another directory, and play it with vlc.

Audio. The other day I had a cd I wanted to run through analog conversion. It seemed that no matter how I tried to make a cd, it would play on a home cd player, on any computer, but it would not play in my car . . . as an audio cd or as an mp3 disc. So, I thought, run it through analogue and use Audicity. I found VLC frequently introduced some gaps into the first few seconds of playback, and Movie Player did not. So, it seems Movie Player is superior for audio.

Are these weird concerns . . . or is there just something else I need to know? Or does anyone else share my views on these media players?

WinterRain
July 13th, 2010, 02:35 AM
I have no complaints with anything multimedia in ubuntu. Everything I've tried works perfectly. But perhaps I'm just one of the lucky ones.

I would try K3B for making audio cd's. K3B rocks.

Lucradia
July 13th, 2010, 02:54 AM
totem works for everything I desire... maybe parole. (haven't tested DVD in parole, but since both totem and parole are gstreamer based, I'm sure it would be fine.)

cariboo
July 13th, 2010, 03:34 AM
I use a command line player combination of randomp[ay and mpg321 for day to day usage, the plus side is that it doesn't repeat a track for what ever interval you set it for, I have mine set for 40 days.

Brasero works for me for creating audio CD's. I've always found that car cd players have been kind of picky when it comes to home made audio CD's

Cam!
July 13th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I use Rhythmbox for MP3 playing, as well as internet radio. For videos, I prefer VLC.

seanelly
July 13th, 2010, 08:03 AM
moc navigates your music like an ordinary file browser and uses next to no resources

Blu Fox
July 13th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Rhythmbox for music and VLC for videos. I've been using this combination since I first came onto Ubuntu back on 9.04, hadn't failed me yet.

VLC plays flac files fine, btw. Just wanted to throw that out there. There's probably a way to play flac files on Rhythmbox but I don't know it yet..

murderslastcrow
July 13th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Audacious2 seems pretty good at playing audio files for me. It's also very winampish, which seems to follow a lot of what you're saying. A program that just plays music, basically.