PDA

View Full Version : good open source software to test-install on my web host?

pythonscript
July 12th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I've installed Mediawiki, phpBB (the forum software) and elgg (the social networking platform) on my web server. Does anyone know of any other good open source web platforms I could try? I like just testing them out by setting them up and running them for a bit, so I'm really open to suggestions. Thanks!

pythonscript
July 16th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Any ideas? Where could I go to search for stuff like this? If I know the type of software, I can just google it, but I'm just looking for stuff to test out. So far I've got a wiki, a forum, and a social networking site (with elgg).

I'd really appreciate any ideas!

Kdar
July 16th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Something like Drupal or Joomla?

samalex
July 16th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I've installed Mediawiki, phpBB (the forum software) and elgg (the social networking platform) on my web server. Does anyone know of any other good open source web platforms I could try? I like just testing them out by setting them up and running them for a bit, so I'm really open to suggestions. Thanks!

Awesome! I have this exact same setup going on our LUG website with MediaWiki as the main site, phpBB as the message forum, and I'm slowly setting-up Elgg for a social networking site for the group.

Something you my want to check out, there's an add-in to MediaWiki that'll tie the security to phpBB giving users a single login for both. You'll have to search the MediaWiki site for it (can't remember off hand where it's at), but it's great. Users are validated through the forum and you can setup a phpBB group for users who have access to edit the Wiki. One place to manage it all... and users use their phpBB login on the Wiki.

Sam