PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] mini.iso install network issue

Johndo1
July 12th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I've got this old IBM thinkpad which has 128mb of ram, and I'm trying to configure a small mini.iso minimized ubuntu distro set up on it. From here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

During the instillation, it requires that I connect to the internet to install and choose packages, the problem is the auto configuration always fails. I plugged in via Ethernet, but I'm still not exactly sure how to get it working.

Any ideas? Thanks.

mörgæs
July 12th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Yes, you need a wired internet connection through the process. A full Ubuntu should also be set up with wired access, by the way.

'The auto configuration always fails' - does this mean that the machine sees the network card, but you need to type some network addresses to get it working?

Johndo1
July 14th, 2010, 11:32 AM
'The auto configuration always fails' - does this mean that the machine sees the network card, but you need to type some network addresses to get it working?

The trouble is, I'm not sure. After the auto-configuration fails, (and yes I'm plugged in via Ethernet) it gives me some more options.

1.) retry
2.) manually connect (which requires manually giving the I.P)
3.) Continue without configuring, but that doesn't work...
and
4.) Type in the DCHP name.

When I try option 2, I type in a random I.P, then when it asks for the router I type in the routers I.P, and it continues, but then when it asks to choose a mirror, the mirror never responds.

mörgæs
July 14th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Which IP's are you typing?

Have you verified the IP of the router using another computer on the net?

snowpine
July 14th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I've got this old IBM thinkpad which has 128mb of ram

You should be looking at a distro like Puppy Linux, Tiny Core, SliTaz, etc. in my opinion.