PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No GUI after upgrade

grathinam
July 12th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Hi

I did automatica upgrade, it did go okay but after reboot I don't get the GUI any more just the command line, any ideas what is causing this and how to resolve this

Upgrading from 8.04

Thanks in advance

ajgreeny
July 12th, 2010, 04:25 PM
What hardware have you got, in particular the graphics card?

grathinam
July 12th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hi

I have the following graphic card and also everything was working fine (on 8.04) before i tried the upgrade.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M10 NT [FireGL Mobility T2] (rev 80)

IBm T41P

Thanks in advance

ajgreeny
July 12th, 2010, 09:28 PM
From the cli can you login and run
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf just to see if there is one, and if there is, what driver it is giving you.

ATI are a pain in the neck as far as these older cards are concerned, but if you have anything other than "ati" or "radeon" showing in a Driver line in the xorg.conf file, you may need to edit the file with
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the driver to "radeon".

If that gives you a GUI you can then look at the System ->Administration ->Hardware Drivers utility to see if there is a better driver available.

grathinam
July 12th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Hi

Tried your suggestion but it did not work.
Edited the xorg.conf file, by default it had "ati" in there
changed it to "radeon" but it did not give me the GUI either and it kind of stuck at "running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)

any other ideas how to resolve this

I cannot blow away and start over as I have lots of data in there

Thanks

ajgreeny
July 13th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Have you tried renaming your xorg.conf and rebooting without any such file to see if that helps.
sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conbak && shutdown -r now