PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade Ubuntu (9.04 to 10.04)

cr4321
July 12th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Story :

I have a fairly new Sony laptop running Windows 7 home edition. I had installed Ubuntu 9.04 in a new patition. It booted thru grub and created the following boot options :

Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-14-generic
Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-14-generic (recovery mode)
Memory test (memtest86+)
Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)
Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda1)
Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)

Late in May, after I got the Ubuntu 10.04 cd, I ran it on the laptop. On sensing the new media, it querried if I wanted to update. On impulse, I said "yes" and went along with the defaults and it installed successfully.

On reboot, I saw the same menu appear as befor (as shown above). On opting Ubuntu (Linux 2.6.31-14-generic), there was a brief pause, then a message :

"/dev fail : no such disk .... chroot .... no such file, etc... etc...
again a pause".
Then various text scrolled past in quick succession.
Again after a brief pause, the
Ubuntu 10.04 splash screen appeared and finally booted to the new OS.

I confirmed that the new version installed in the same old partition.

I thought, the menu will correct itself after an update. I carried out the default updates, including the kernel version change. Still, there is no change in the menu.

After that, I have updated the system on a weekly basis, including a couple more of kernel version changes. Still my menu remains the same (9.04 version), and the messages also remain the same. I can boot onto Ubuntu and also to Windows 7 (most of the times).

One problem :

On rare occasions, (it has happened 4-5 times) it does not show the menu at all but directly boots to Ubuntu.

My question is :

1) How can I get the right boot menu and avoid all those scrolling messages?

2) Can it be done with the elementary knowledge that I have (not familiar with commands) - and is it worth it in the first place ? (since I do not want to screw up the system!)

Would appreciate help - to have a clean system! Thanks in advance.

cr4321

mörgæs
July 12th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I don't think that it is worthwhile to try to fix such a system. I would go for a clean install of 10.04 - one hour, problem solved.

cr4321
July 13th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Hmm... this would be many day's work for me - specially having to install all the additional programs, and updates, - and having to cope with a slow connection!

That would be the last option! I hope, I don't have to go that far!!

Thanks, for the suggestion but pls think again....