PDA

View Full Version : Fixing problems in Microsoft?

chaman1
July 12th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Whenever I try to solve a problem with my Microsoft computer on the Internet, I notice that almost always the suggestion is to back-up your data and do a clean re-install/restore to factory settings, etc...

I'm a total noob when it comes to computers (I felt so smart when I managed to dual-boot Linux). I'm just wondering if most of Window's problems have to be solved through re-installation? I haven't tried, but if I bring my computers to "so-called" computer repair shops, is this what most of them would suggest to do as well?

themusicalduck
July 12th, 2010, 05:11 AM
I don't remember ever really having to reinstall Windows to fix a specific problem too often, although I probably did at some point.

Even so, I still reinstalled it about every 6 months to get rid of slowdowns and to just start with a nice fresh install.

I don't feel the need to do that in Ubuntu, but I still do anyway because I want to use the latest release :p (direct upgrades don't usually work so well for me..)

carlexpc
July 12th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Windows' performance drifts as time goes by. It's worth shifting to Linux.

Redo
July 12th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Fixing Windows after bouts of malware can take far more time than backing up and reinstalling (though most viruses mean TKO, and a format is in order). Even after getting everything back to functioning normal, it still wont have the same speed as a fresh install.

I've spent days tracking down and ridding Windows systems of malware, just to get it back to functioning normally. A format and install takes an hour or so depending. Repair shops would much rather do a fresh install.

Linux is completely different. Speedy, stable, and reliable (so long as you don't choose KDE :P)

smellyman
July 12th, 2010, 05:38 AM
I don't mind backing up and reinstalling any OS.

The issue with windows is getting all your 3rd party software back, license keys, versions, download sites etc.

With Linux it is so easy to just hit the repos. I am up and running in in 10 mins after a fresh Linux install.

tjwoosta
July 12th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I haven't tried, but if I bring my computers to "so-called" computer repair shops, is this what most of them would suggest to do as well?

They probably would tell you to just reinstall (or rather they would tell you to let them do the reinstall for you) simply because its the quickest and easiest method to fix anything if you dont really know what the problem is or what your doing. But in reality there is nothing on any OS that would ever require a complete reinstall. If you know your way around, anything on any system can be fixed one way or another, it just sometimes takes great technical knowledge and much time.

Legendary_Bibo
July 12th, 2010, 09:45 AM
NO!

Most problems on a Windows computer is fixed by rebooting, duh! :D

Khakilang
July 12th, 2010, 10:01 AM
There are some software to fix Window like Advance System Care, CC cleaner and among others depend on the problem you face. For me in the past I use Advance System Care free version (I think the paid version is much better), Avira anti virus, CC Cleaner, Spybot and Fix it. But after sometime I still need to reformat and reinstall all over again due to corrupted registry. I would say you may need to do that once every 2 year or so.

lovinglinux
July 12th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I don't remember ever really having to reinstall Windows to fix a specific problem too often, although I probably did at some point.

Even so, I still reinstalled it about every 6 months to get rid of slowdowns and to just start with a nice fresh install.

I don't feel the need to do that in Ubuntu, but I still do anyway because I want to use the latest release :p (direct upgrades don't usually work so well for me..)

+1

Exactly the same here.

RiceMonster
July 12th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I'd say my apporach is about the same on Windows and Linux. If the system is really borked and it's not worth it going through the pains of fixing it, just reinstall it.

kamaboko
July 12th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I don't mind backing up and reinstalling any OS.

The issue with windows is getting all your 3rd party software back, license keys, versions, download sites etc.

With Linux it is so easy to just hit the repos. I am up and running in in 10 mins after a fresh Linux install.

I've never had a fresh Linux install take ten minutes. You can install a fresh copy, do all the updates, install all your favorite software apps, make all the specific adjustments you like in ten minutes? Pulllleeezzz.

smellyman
July 12th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I've never had a fresh Linux install take ten minutes. You can install a fresh copy, do all the updates, install all your favorite software apps, make all the specific adjustments you like in ten minutes? Pulllleeezzz.

i said 10 minutes AFTER a fresh install and that is all it takes. I have a 30 meg Internet connection for the updates and I do very minor customization....so yes.....10 minutes.

lovinglinux
July 12th, 2010, 03:24 PM
i said 10 minutes AFTER a fresh install and that is all it takes. I have a 30 meg Internet connection for the updates and I do very minor customization....so yes.....10 minutes.

Add Umarks (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/13153) to your set of tools and you will do it in 5 :)

kamaboko
July 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM

So you have a T3 connection at home 'eh?

Redo
July 12th, 2010, 05:10 PM

I have a 15 meg connection at home. I could spend a little more and have it upgraded as well :p

3rdalbum
July 12th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Yeah; it's either "Reinstall Windows" or "Run this code in the MS-DOS prompt":

RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL NetSetup.cpl,@0,WNSW 8

Mark Phelps
July 12th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Whenever I try to solve a problem with my Microsoft computer on the Internet, I notice that almost always the suggestion is to back-up your data and do a clean re-install/restore to factory settings, etc...
That's because "the Internet" is not the best source of computer diagnostic information -- just the cheapest and most readily available.

I'm just wondering if most of Window's problems have to be solved through re-installation?
Having been solving Windows problems since the days of Windows 95, I can comfortably say that only a very small minority of Windows problems actually require re-install. With regular backups, you can solve virtually ANY problem with an image restore; but then, nearly no-one in the Windows world does those.

Most other problems require a lot of diagnostic work -- something that most Windows folks simply aren't prepared to do, or don't want to spend the time doing.

I haven't tried, but if I bring my computers to "so-called" computer repair shops, is this what most of them would suggest to do as well?
Yep -- because the techs are "encouraged" to "fix" the problems as quickly as possible. A reinstall is generally a lot faster than spending several hours diagnosing and repairing the underlying problem.

sudoer541
July 12th, 2010, 08:07 PM
The last time I reinstalled (fresh insttall) my Windows xp, it was five years ago.
Mind you, I dont use an antivirus/antispyware etc!!!! My Windows pc is super fast (it boots fast, it launches programs super fast, it does not hang, no crashes...in other words its all cool!!!!!!!!:p)
I use my Windows xp more than ubuntu due to its rich software library etc.
I backup my data every month or so just in case.
BTW, I use xp in an old machine (AMD Athlon 64 @ 2.20 GHZ with 1GB RAM and an old ATI 9250 Video card series!!!)
My xp is fast because I have tweaked it to death and I disabled most of its junk services (itunes helper, desktop live help, disabled themes and closed network ports)
One trick to make windows more secure is to close most of its ports and it should be more secure (since I dont use a computer protection program)
I have tweaked the registry as well, and it boosted my machine a lot!!!
I have no startup programs or services (I have not disabled necessary services though!!!)
Its been five years now and no viruses or anything that occurs to other windows users, however I install updated antivirus programs and I scan my computer just in case. After the scan is done I un-install the antivirus/antispyware... so basically I install an antivirus program every six months or so for a day and then I remove it.

To make this short... I am very pleased with Windows xp with service pack 3. I dont have to worry about security or antivirus that may slow down my pc and everything else that most Windows users worry about. Oh!!! forgot to mention... I visit and download things from trusted sources.

I think I sound like a troll:p but hey am telling the truth!!!:p

On the other hand I dont have to tweak my ubuntu installation that much (which is good)
The only problem is ubuntu does not have a rich software library like Windows (But its getting there...BTW...did you guys hear that spotify released a native version for Linux?)
Anyway, I hope to see more third party software on USC in the future.

sudoer541
July 12th, 2010, 08:15 PM

I'm a total noob when it comes to computers (I felt so smart when I managed to dual-boot Linux). I'm just wondering if most of Window's problems have to be solved through re-installation? I haven't tried, but if I bring my computers to "so-called" computer repair shops, is this what most of them would suggest to do as well?

OMG!!! dont take your pc to computer repair shops (geeksquad etc)
These guys can steal/copy your data and they try to sell you or install things you dont need.
Avoid computer repair shops as much as you can. You can diagnose your pc problems on your own (if not try t learn or ask a relative)

eeeeeeeeeeeeekkkk!!!:eek:

Timmer1240
July 12th, 2010, 10:19 PM
If I cant figure out whats going on I do a reinstall if the computer is totally messed up and cant do anything but usually I can figure it out on windows.One thing that I highly recommend for windows is a sandbox program and run your browser email and internet programs in a sandboxed enviroment a good one is called sandboxie http://www.sandboxie.com/ its saved me some grief over the last few years.I never take my pc in for repairs as I can troubleshoot it and do some friends and relatives as well.Since I started Using linux malware viruses trojans seem like a thing of the past which is nice.a good source of Information on cleaning up windows machines is www.majorgeeks.com there is a real good support forum there you can post and people will help you if you need it.Its where I learned quite a bit about fixing things good software there and good forums for windows.

smellyman
July 13th, 2010, 12:47 AM

eh? no

kamaboko
July 13th, 2010, 04:45 AM
eh? no

Then you're not getting a continuous downstream of 30megs.

smellyman
July 13th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Then you're not getting a continuous downstream of 30megs.

thanks...

jerenept
July 13th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Probably FIOS-from Verizon.

Any computer stor will probably recommend a reformat & reinstall, it gives them a chance to sell you Win7 on your machine. It is also probably quicker than diagnosing and solving the problem.

chaman1
July 14th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Interesting input from everyone. Thanks!

mamamia88
July 14th, 2010, 06:11 AM
yeah often it's just quicker to reinstall. i know if i ever went back to windows i would have a copy of all my media and drivers on an external drive for quick painless reinstall

CharlesA
July 14th, 2010, 06:23 AM
yeah often it's just quicker to reinstall. i know if i ever went back to windows i would have a copy of all my media and drivers on an external drive for quick painless reinstall

I'd just use nlite to integrate the drivers and junk.

Redo
July 14th, 2010, 06:25 AM

This is why I have multiple harddrives with multiple partitions.

chaman1
July 15th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Okay...well my problem is that when I boot into Windows, I get stuck at the "Please Wait..." stage. It wouldn't keep going at all. Safe mode works though.

Does anyone know anything about this problem? Should I ask under a different section on Ubuntu forums?

ssulaco
July 15th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Okay...well my problem is that when I boot into Windows, I get stuck at the "Please Wait..." stage. It wouldn't keep going at all. Safe mode works though.

Does anyone know anything about this problem? Should I ask under a different section on Ubuntu forums?
For Windows malfunctions I would go here
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/
or here
http://www.techsupportforum.com/

Spr0k3t
July 15th, 2010, 06:01 AM
For most of my windows friends I have that call upon me when they can't find their files, or have been hit with malware, or need someone to hold their hand while they right click a document... I tell them all to format and reload back to XP. Most of the time it works very well. Not to mention that XP is easier to support since very few of the features/settings are hidden/redundant.

CharlesA
July 15th, 2010, 06:25 AM

If you did a repair installation on an install that had IE8 on it, that might happen, boot into Safe Mode with Networking and reinstall IE8, should work after that.

HermanAB
July 15th, 2010, 07:03 AM
WinXP has something called "Repair Install", which many people don't seem to know about. This is good for use in a shop, since it repairs Windows without losing any user programs, keys and whatnot and is usually sufficient to get a dud PC going again.

ssulaco
July 15th, 2010, 05:06 PM
WinXP has something called "Repair Install", which many people don't seem to know about.
Thanks Herman,I did not know that,I assume Vista would have a similar procedure?

chaman1
July 16th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I'm talking about Vista by the way. The weirdest thing is that it just happened randomly! I didn't change anything at all. System restore didn't fix the problem. After checking out the Disk Utility from Ubuntu (I dual-boot), I noticed that there was 2 bad sectors in my hard drive. My laptop is only one year old! Could this have caused the problem?

murderslastcrow
July 16th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Bad sectors are called bad for a reason. Run a disk check or two, then defragment the hard NTFS partition. If it's not malware, but data corruption of some kind, you'd save a lot of time just reinstalling. Vista doesn't really have an easy CD like the nLite stuff so far as I know, but there's probably something out there to speed up the process a little.

Also, I'd suggest if you plan on using Windows long term at all, you should prepare an image of your installation so you can load it straight to the hard drive in the future with all your drivers and programs preloaded, which takes about as long as an Ubuntu installation. It basically burns the disk image from your CD.

This is far more useful than just keeping all of it in your head and finding it all again after having to wait an hour or so to install it.